I have been to Hakuba a few times now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I was wondering where the other good ski resorts are in Japan on the island of Honshu as I base myself in Tokyo. Thanks

'best' is a loaded term.

What defines best for you?

Are you chasing off piste and trees?

Are you wanting great food, drinks and facilities?

Are you after lots of varied terrain and runs?

Are you chasing wide ungroomed power runs?

Do you want a sick park set up?

Give a bit more of an indication as to what floats your boat and I am sure the local boys will give their recommendations.

Don't be so negative Man!

:lol:

As Mamabear said, more details please!

Apologies, I think this will work out extremely well and we will all agree. :D

Ps for what its worth, I still haven't found the "best" place as there are so many variables.

how long's a piece of string? :D

give us some more details and we can maybe come to a general misunderstanding!! ;)

Here is a short insight:

For ease of access to great powder from Tokyo, you can't beat Kagura in Yuzawa area. Yuzawa and the Minamiuonuma area just up the valley a bit has lots of resorts from the small to the large. Kagura is the highest, it spans a large area and holds powder really well. Its also connected by Gondola to Naeba that is another good resort. Lots of other smaller ones that are worth a look are GALA Yuzawa, Kandatsu, Ishiuchi (in Minamiuonuma) which is connected to GALA at the top. I wanna hit up Maiko, hakkaisan and Joetsu Kokusai as well

Myoko: I have been only once but it gave me a near divine experience. Always gets good snow and is just as easy to get to from Tokyo as Hakuba IMO.

Nozawa Onsen along the way is on my list for this year and I have heard great things about it. The snow reports and photos coming out of there this season is fantastic.

Shiga Kogen: High, great snow, HUGE rideable area, as easy to access from Tokyo as Hakuba. They don't seem to get as much snow as other areas....but its still a good lot and its top quality. Downside is that there is very little to do after the lifts close

A little further afield but easy enough to get to, especially if you have a car is Zao Onsen......another thats on my list, but looks great. Snow monsters, great snow and great onsen........great :D

There are a multitude of smaller and lesser known lights in between, such as Ryoo Kita Shiga near to Shiga Kogen, Nozawa and Myoko, Madarao is in the same boat for a day.

• Like 1

Yes I don't know about "best" but if a friend asked me that question I'd tell them to go to Zao Onsen, with a few provisions of course.

And I don't just mean the food because you cannot buy any there! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If money and time is an issue you can get to the resorts in Gunma without the Shinkansen in 3 hours or so. I tend to go to Kawaba alot because it takes me half an hour to get there and the tree runs are a lot of fun. Kagura is much bigger though......

Yeah i discounted Gunma as although its closer to Tokyo, by public transport its harder to get there for opening time. The bus deals only get you there mid-morning and the buses from Jomo-Kogen don't seem to be regular enough. I think that Yuzawa is much easer to get to and IMO the snow is better when you get there

I want to try out more of Gunma simply out of wanting more variety. I've nearly done all the places round here this season so looking further a field from now I think.

Bloody nuisance places being 1+ hours drive away. :grandpa:

;)

haha.....Kawaba is pretty good, can get busy though. Although I didn't head off into the trees as I was with my noob of a brother, it looked to have some good accessed tree runs. Oze White World is fun as well, compact resort, but some good runs for charging......I went late season so the snow was spring, but had lots of fun. Marunuma is in the same boat....not very big and a bit of a pain to get to, but fun all the same

KAMUI!!! <3

Actually its not. But why the hell not, eh?

Its definitely one of the best day trips youll ever get to do if you timeit on a dump. Ride where you like, dirt cheap tickets, an awesome massive statue of buddha on the way there, and tonnes and tonnes of ever fresh lines with ahrdly anyone around to poach them. One of my best days in japan to be honest. I doubt its scientifically the best, but to hell with shmience! i go by my gut, and my gut is swimming in chu hai and since alcopops reveal the truth of your heart, kamui it is!

So wherre in Kamui can you get hot hot hot nannies looking after your kids and teaching them how to ski while you and the one in charge go off skiing and bitching about the lack of skiers on the slopes?

I have been to Hakuba a few times now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I was wondering where the other good ski resorts are in Japan on the island of Honshu as I base myself in Tokyo. Thanks

I like Nozawa best.

Though I heard you can Live Your Dreams in a place like Hakuba, which obviously sounds fab. :thumbsup:

;)