• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shitty day to come to kagura. The top lift is shut and so is the whole of tashiro :( Got up there, asked the lifty if they were gonna open it at all, he gave me a look of "are you an idiot?" and then told me "no, its very dangerous" So er, only runs open are the park, the bunny run at the ropeway and the shitty gondola run. I took a ride down, rode it again just to be sure i was wasting my time, got to the bottom and they were kind enough to refund me :) Its double pain because the damn local train i get wasnt running this morning so had to shink it. Bleh, i think ill give the rest of the weekend a wide berth :)

There's also been some electrical problems up there apparently, ippy.

I realise this report was not early enough for your trip, but for the info:

http://www.snowjapan...y/naeba-now.php

ah, so thats something. It also probably explains who those dudes getting scootered up the hill were. I thought it was mountain rescue just by the stuff they were carrying. I figured someone had got lost. But they did sort of seem to be standing about a bit. Poor kagura. When that lift goes down it kinda kills everything. Id have been alright if i was on any other board, but i brought the slasher specifically for the pow. Fun board though still, just wish it was the 158. If anyone has the 158 and wants to switch for the 164, im game :) If i had that 158 if probably just ride it as my everyday board until about late feb. Nice and flexxy for a pow stick :)

Yeah we did kagura today - dissappointed to find it was only open up to the gondola. We were going to pay the extra 800 yen and do naeba but we missed the last bus so we were just stuck in mitsumata all day. Still, lots of powder and we all had a lot of fun practicing jumps into it. It's good to know that you can pay the extra 800 for naeba when you do the higaeri to kagura cos you can check the kagura website and if kagura is closed you can just head straight to naeba - mitsumata would've been pretty dull if it wasn't powder all over.

Sorry to hear that ippy! I've had a few days like that too. Helps having a car to knock about in.

There were lots of big smiles around here today. It's been a long day though so I'll leave it at that. I'll write up a nice report tomorrow or early next week. Have a great day tomorrow everyone and play safe ;)

Still snowing here.

Can't wait for this lot to clear up - not that I want potentially recent-history-historic amounts to not arrive!

It might be the end of the week before that happens but I reckon if it does happen as per forecast the phone box will be covered, there will be some amazing scenes around town and of course I'll be very excited about getting out on it too.

you boys should've moseyed over to Maiko.....it was DEEEP! Maiko is short mind you, but there was a hell of a lot of snow there, all runs were open and I got stuck on a few occassions, the last one needing the assistance of a passing skier (I wasn't far from the piste) but thank god he was there or I'd still be stuck there!!

i did think about maiko, but then the teeny tiny shuttle bus pulled in and it was totally heaving :)

Its all good. I woke up in my own bed and didnt have to sleep in the onsen. Getting home was a bit of a piggery though. First train was super late, so missed connection at minakami. Popped in the information center there since i had time to kill and found at that the number one rated resort by their tourist office is Hodaigi. :) It all looks a bit... short though. Im kinda dying for a nice long run somewhere.

The important question is did you do the Beer Tower and Cheese Fondue?

Has to be done at Maiko.

I didn't! I actually had my ski-jo staple, katsu curry. In fact I didn't even have a beer yesterday on the slopes, we had lunch at the mountain hut (or lodge maybe) and they were wanting 600 yen for a small can of asahi....eh no thanks. I liked the place, runs are on the short side though. The upper bowl bit was great fun but hugely tracked as you can imagine. The Dolphin course over in the Maiko area was the best run, actually steep enough to enjoy all that powder and most people stayed on the open face of it so zig-zagging through the few trees that are there was all for us! I'll do a more in-depth (but not Ippy-esque :p ) report in a bit.....my body is aching from all the digging and swimming I had to do yesterday