• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG!! - Mick might have been on it when she sat down Hellooooooooo................Mick, are you in there mate?

Might be the only way Mick could slip out

Ponder no more pie-eater. Bond knows it's Blofeld, it's only Blofeld that takes a while to cotton on. It's Bond's disguise, you see. Becoming an Aussie, wearing glasses and speaking dubbed over does

So JA are the oil olives a different variety to the "table olives' or are they seconds?

Olives for oil are generally a different cultivar, as they have higher oil content - table olives are generally nice and fat, most of which is water/juice and a little oil. Oil cultivars are generally smaller and therefore not so much water in proportion to the oil.

You CAN get oil from all olives, problem is that if there's a lot of water there, the oil is harder to extract (has to do with the properties of emulsions and the 'break' force required to separate the components)

I would NEVER press "second grade" olives for oil - they will produce a crap oil and will not be saleable at a decent price. FYI, there are people in Aus (and I guess in other countries too, but cannot be sure) who are selling a grade of olive oil called "lampante" - which you could probably recognise as "lamp oil" which is not suitable for human consumption, and only useable for lamps - as cooking oil. Problem with that is the flavours and chemical makeup of the oil would be unacceptable, and would likely turn people off using decent olive oil.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the product of mechanical extraction of the oil from the fruit of the olive tree, without the use of chemical or heat treatments. Lampante is usually extracted from the "waste" after extraction of EVOO, by dissolving the oil remaining in the waste in a hydrocarbon chemical and then evaporating off the chemical to leave some oil. No-one in Aus does this as there is not sufficient waste to be bothered.

Still trying to keep the tone of the thread slightly above the navel.

whats pomace then

Pomace is the term for the stuff left over after the juice (oil + water) has been removed. My press generates a very dry pomace, with just a very small amount of oil/water left over, but most of the centrifuges produce a wet pomace from which it is possible to extract a tiny bit more oil (called, strangely enough, pomace oil) which is not suitable for human consumption because of the chamical solvent used to extract it.

We should write a book, you and I! :lol:

Yep, deceptive packaging, and - in Australia now - not legal!

Often see "Lite" and "Light" oils as well - there is no reduction of fat content - olive oil (like most vegetable oils) is almost 100% fat.

Actually, light/lite is deodorised and bleached so it LOOKS lighter in colour and has less flavour.

Might as well use crappy canola! (which is all chemically extracted!)

Very few Aus labels export to Japan or elsewhere in Asia. I don't know of any off the top of my head ... research needed!

For Northern Hemisphere places, the Spain/Italy thing is OK, as they are usually fresh in the same season. Down here, however, a "new" oil from the NH is already 6 months old by the time our oils are being pressed.

Minor trivia question - Italy exports more EVOO than it produces, and uses a lot as well ... how is this possible?

Answer - Italian companies import the oil from places like Tunisia and other North African places, pay import duties into the EU as "fruit juice", repack, rebrand as "product of Italy", rename as EVOO and sell at top price to other countries - keeping, as it happens, their own production, for domestic consumption. Sneaky little buggers these Eye ties!

There is a joke about Popeye and rust.

Q. What does Popeye do to keep his favorite tool from rusting?

A. Sticks it in Olive Oyl.

thank you . i was wondering how to word so it was SFW. :)

I reckon he has a sophisticated olive picking robot.

:thumbsup:

Yep, the robot is called JA2340!! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, we pick by hand, both of us Saturday, +1 Sunday morning while I operate the press, and clean up Sunday arvo - ready for "work" Monday! :sj-lol: