If I reply to Facebook when they send me their daily email asking me if I know Joe Bloggs, Mrs Miggin's cat and The Queen with "no I bloody well don't", do you think they'll stop sending me those annoying mails.

It's not as if I even use Facebook!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG!! - Mick might have been on it when she sat down Hellooooooooo................Mick, are you in there mate?

Might be the only way Mick could slip out

Ponder no more pie-eater. Bond knows it's Blofeld, it's only Blofeld that takes a while to cotton on. It's Bond's disguise, you see. Becoming an Aussie, wearing glasses and speaking dubbed over does

I prefer "packed in like the 5.30 pm train out of Shinjuku"

5.30?! Pfft that train is quiet.....don't you no how hard working Japanese people are?! They are still working at that time.....try 10pm and you'll see a different grade of "busy" ;)

Mechanically, mostly! We do it by hand, but we only do a couple kilograms at a time!

Here's one available in Australia (I hope the link is OK - if not, delete it, David!)

http://www.theolivecentre.com/MA-TABLE-OLIVE-EQUIPMENT/Pitting-machine-Stones-Expelling-Machine-12-blades

With ...

9pitter.jpg ... this.

One at a time, takes a few minutes to get through a kilo, hence they use the machines when they are pitting commercial quantities (like a couple tonnes at a time!)

how des one get oil out of an olive

Several steps -

first, pick the olives from the trees,

second, get the fruit to the press as soon as possible (any more than 48 hours is not good!)

third, wash them before turning them to mush with a hammer mill,

fourth, swish the mush around until the oil globules merge into bigger ones,

fifth, either

put the mush on round "mats" and squash them until the oil runs out, or

chuck it into a centrifuge, and set a divider at the point where the oil stops,

sixth, leave the lot to settle, then decant the oil from the top, discard the crap from the bottom.

As for extra virgins - never met one! EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil - is the highest quality, based on a chemical analysis (<0.80% free fatty acid content) and taste test as free of all faults. The organoleptic (taste) test is conducted by trained tasters with educated palates (mine is crappy!).

Next!!