Flying through Tokyo, January/February and want to ski for 3-5 days. Expert New England skier, lived in the Rockies for years, telemarker, 40 days so far this year. Would welcome suggestions. Just want to ski, low end accommodations preferred. First time skiing in Japan. Looking at Niseko? Thanks.

You'll lose a bunch of time getting to and from Niseko. It's also the most expensive area (on average). Niigata/Nagano are closer and cheaper. Are you looking for variety or staying in one area? Off piste, slack country, back country?

jjski is the reason you are looking at Niseko because it's the place you have heard about?

Tell us more about the kind of thing you are looking for and I'm sure you'll get some responses.

If it was me I'd be making rough plans but not finalising anything until the last minute. Hokkada BC looks amazing and it appears that yo can get there via Shink on a JR East Rail Pass which is available at home before you leave. Lots of resorts also in easy reach from Tokyo.

Easy connection through Narita to Chitose. I travel to Indonesia a few times a year for work and plan on making this a regular thing during the ski seasons.

So many resorts to choose from, want steeps and trees. After the winter we're having in the North East US anything with natural snow will be welcome. Hope to ski 3-5 days than back to commute to Indonesia. Niseko looked like some good terrain and some reasonable lodging. Just want to ski hard all day. Not planning on bringing avalanche gear just a pair of K2 Obsetheds and a smile.

Thanks for the input, first forum I've ever joined.

I think there is only one (two?) flights a day from Narita (international airport) to Chitose. Most people have to take the train or bus to Haneda (domestic airport and the other side of Tokyo) to get a flight through to Chitose. If you have to go that route you'll lose a whole day to get to Niseko (and a whole day to get back if you are flying out of Narita)... if you are lucky you'll get a nighta when you arrive. If time on the hill is the most important thing than you should go somewhere closer like Hakuba or Shiga Kogen. Depending on when you are coming (mid-week, weekend, national holiday, etc) you could hold off on booking the trip until the last minute and then just follow the snow.

Thanks for all the information, greatly appreciated. Flight through Narita lines up nicely for Chitose. My schedule is changing as I type and I like having other mountains suggested, thanks. Very flexible upon where I go. Looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'll be coming over mid/late Feb., 4-5 days. Niseko came up as #1 on overall reviews hence my attention. Been looking into Niigata/Nigano area as suggested, so much terrain. Looks easier and a bit more logical. My Norita/chitose connection hour and a half, arrive 2015. Snow will tell.

Prefer to travel frugally and locally when possible. Ryokans, minshukus, lodges that a Yank who doesn't speak Japanese would enjoy, food and hopefully serious skiers. All about the skiing. I can be very entertained on one hill with lots of snow but access to other areas a plus. Powder, trees, steeps, etc...love back and slack country but lifts get me more vertical.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Even if you arrived at Shin-Chitose at 815pm, you then have to either get a bus over, which I am not too sure that they are running that time, or the train to Kutchan. Both will take you 2.5hrs or so, otherwise you will have to stay in a hotel until the next day.

Best bet at that time is head over to Niigata or Nagano.

Like others I would suggest Niigata or Nagano, plenty of snow and terrain, loads of big resorts, such as Myoko, Hakuba, Shiga, Madarao, all big and more than enough to keep you entertained. Yuzawa area is direct shinkansen from Tokyo station, about 2 hours or so!

For slack country, Hakkoda.

Grab the shinkansen, take the bus, and you'll be there.

Sansou is 6,000 a night.

If you make it send me a PM and I'll met you up to show you around. I'm always looking for an excuse to go :D

JR East rail pass will get you to Hokkado if I read the map properly.

Plenty day trips from Tokyo too :) Once again that JR East pass will be a BIG help.

Do you mean hakkoda or hokkaido?

If the first, then it is possible, train to Tokyo then change to Tohoku shinkansen to Shin-aomori then bus over to Hakkoda. A long trip to get there, looking at about 6 hrs from Narita if lucky.

If you mean Hokkaido, then it isn't possible as the JR east rail pass isn't valid in Hokkaido, only up to Shin-Aomori.

JR East rail pass will get you to Hokkado if I read the map properly.

Plenty day trips from Tokyo too :) Once again that JR East pass will be a BIG help.

Do you mean hakkoda or hokkaido?

Hakkoda. A tad tired and messed up the spelling.

• 4 weeks later...

In Indonesia now, skis in Singapore. Hope to be in Japan early next week, all subject to change. Planning to take train to Nagano or Niigita, depending on snow conditions, have 4 days to ski and hope to see monkeys before early evening flight out of Tokyo on day 5.

So many places. Looking for powder/crud and vertical. Bringing skins but really would like to get 5k+ meters vertical a day. If anyone has ever skied in Alta, Utah, that's the terrain I'm looking for. Hope to ski midweek. Yamabushi, Hakkoda looks great, lots of questions for later trips.

Some questions about lodging for Nagano area. Looks like, Hakuba, Happo-one, Shiga Kogen have easy access and lots of terrain and snow. Best to stay in town and commute, or on hill. Probably split time between two areas.

Niigata area; Muikamachi Hakkaisan, Myoko, AKAKAN, look good. Recommendations? Best to get dinner with room, pardon my ignorance.

Any problems bring skis on train or buses?

Offshore soon without internet access but appreciate all the leads so far.