Planning on heading to Myoko Friday, want to go to either Akakura Kanko, Akakura Onsen, or Seki Onsen. Thoughts on which is best for a few snowboarders?

Thanks!

Kanko will give you the most variety with a combination of decent fall line courses and good tree skiing. You can also ski into Akakura Onsen though it's a bit flat for my liking

Seki is good after a dump but can be tracked out after a few days without snow

Suginahara is another good option with some super long cruising runs and some off piste options also.

I have spent a couple of weeks at Myoko but if I only had one day I would probably park at Kanko and ski/board from there over to Onsen and back to get an idea of the area

If it keeps on snowing until Friday, Seki. We found Seki pretty trashed if it hadnt snowed the night before but I only got there once.

We have spent a few days at Akakura Kanko (Akakan), its a lot bigger and can have some nice powder in the trees for a few days and may be better for a day visit.

Also, Suginahara is worth looking at as well. Long runs, plenty of trees and powder to be had. Just watch out for the Army peolpe skiing around.

Akakura Onsen did nothing for us, we rode in and rode out.

Rememebr with Kanko, your lift pass is not valid for the Onsen side on the mountain unless you by the combined ticket.

I am sure other will disagree but I only got to Seki once and would have loved to be there this week.

My thoughts and either way, you will have a great day.

i detest akakura onsen. Avoid it. :)

Suginohara is gorgeous. Its kinda sorta flat towards the bottom, and last season they shut down one of the most important lifts, but its still the jewel in the crown of myoko. Its just really nice to ride. And it has loads of little spots to just dip in and out of the trees. Theres a few old lift runs as well that are fun, (though i wouldnt touch them yet to be honest).

Akakan is definitely worth a look too. Its got the most interesting terrain of the four (five including seki). It can get moguled up pretty quick though, but it does have an awesome soft pack mogul run thats great fun for all intermediates and above even if it is a wee bit short.

Ikenotaira is always good for a laugh too. Not as good as the other two in terms of terrain or just overall ambiance. But definitely a grear place for families. Its also (i was led to believe back in 2009 - the last time i was there) that the park rats all come here because its cheap :)

If i had only one day and it was my first time, id probably go suginohara just because its guaranteed to be quite breathtaking :) If id been there a few times though, id probably pick akakan for the riding.

I agree with suginohara is the one to do for a day.......... we rode it a couple of times and found endless fresh runs and it was after a few days without any snow falls....for memory we found the best riding down the right hand side of the hill as your coming down plenty of trees....but I also agree with Dom to a certain degree cause I was there when they were...but my money is on suginohara

At Akakura Kanko (Akakan) go to the top lift and when looking down head left plenty of steep tree runs but you need a fresh fall the night before....

At the end of the day Norcal by the look at the snow reports it don't think it will matter where you go it seems to be dropping in bucket loads you could probably get a good run through the middle of the village...have fun mate

When your done for the day go to a place called the windsor or winchester can't remember and have a beer and get the lady who runs the place to do her dance its an absolute classic...Dom might remember the what the place is called

Just came back from Myoko Kogen today. We spent 2 days at Akakura Kanko. Very very very deep powder and lots to go around. I've spent plenty of time at all of the resorts in Myoko and I always end up going back to Akakan because of the variety it offers. That being said, this year one of the top lifts has been shut down... it might be a deal breaker when I think about heading back there.

I need to go again.

I just wasn't enthralled with Sugninohara at all.

Perhaps I just went on a bad day or whatever.

I think the resort areas around here, though generally smaller perhaps, are better.

With nicer scenery too.

I'm too tired to write a whole review, but I'll make one up for the resort tomorrow (on the resorts page). Long story short, go there on a weekday, after a good/during a good snowing. Place is too small for the weekend/japanese holiday. Waits weren't too long, but it just seemed that there were too many people for that small of a resort (not tiny, just smallest one I've been to here).

Still though, great place, sooooo nice. Something about that place...just relaxing. Good for beginner/intermediate. May go back sometime (possible Kanko). Anyway thanks everyone for the responses & advice, much appreciated.

Also thanks to the SJ site itself, for just being amazing. Addresses, route finders, info about resorts, etc etc etc etc...also great & helpful members too!

Time for sleep...only had 4 hours since yesterday! lol

I went last year but we had so much snow in the 4 days I was there we couldn't get out of the kanko area! Needless to say it was great, but I'm heading back in late Jan to try Suginohara.

No one mentions Ikenotaira? Is it worth a day or skip it in favour of Suginohara and Kanko?

Ikenotaira is ok for a one time visit but is relatively flat. All right if you want to cruise on piste or maybe learn to some gentle tree runs off the side of the piste.

It's best known for the variety and number of parks if that's your thing

We went last season for 5 days, 4 at Kanko and 1 at Suginohara. Loved Kanko with fresh falls (the top lift in the Onsen area wasn't working last season either), but went to Suginohara on a sunny Sunday and seems the weekend crowds got the best of it on the Saturday (icey at the top and slushy at the bottom, this was in March 2011).

Going back in a few weeks to try Sug mid-week and interested to know if the top runs (from memory pretty steep) hold snow or are they still fairly icey? Also is a day trip to Manarao/Tangram worth a day?

I second that TB I had two seperate days there either end of a 10 day Myoko trip and it was excellent off the top lift especially the course and trees on skier's left