• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. School ain't such the good investment it was even as short as a decade ago. If I was to do it all again....trades school.

My mate's son will finish his 4 year electrical apprenticeship this year in the mines. He will start on $120k aus a year. After a few years possibly up to $200k.

Me either,I would be doing it by now already.

There are jobs driving trucks above ground on open cut mines that pay over 100k a year.

Ask Mamabear what's going on in WA at the moment.

Same as in Northern Canada (Alberta). The oil sands are making a LOT of tradespeople very rich.

True, that, muika!

A matter of balance. really! I have a couple of credit cards (and anyone who wants to can make donations towards the "retirement" fund to pay them out!) which are used to buffer larger payments. ferexample, the rego and insurance on the car are "on the card" as fairly large, one-off payments and amortised over the following couple of months.

rarely, though, are either of the cards maxed out.

There are jobs driving trucks above ground on open cut mines that pay over 100k a year.

As if I'd know! LOL

Well... I know a heap of people are working in the mines. I know WA is growing like a weed. I know mining is HUGE. And I know anyone worth a shizz in the industry is heading up there to take advantage.

But that's about it.

Whenever I'm quoting or organizing a job in a commercial operation. The question is always asked.

"Can this be all done at night?" Meaning, can I leave work in the afternoon and arrive back the next morning and it's all magically been done.

I very politely explain to them that I'm not a 7/11 and I actually sleep at night and work in the day just like they do and for the same reasons as they do.

Whenever I'm quoting or organizing a job in a commercial operation. The question is always asked.

"Can this be all done at night?" Meaning, can I leave work in the afternoon and arrive back the next morning and it's all magically been done.

I very politely explain to them that I'm not a 7/11 and I actually sleep at night and work in the day just like they do and for the same reasons as they do.

Fired!! :sj-lol:

I was speaking to a friend over the weekend.

His g/fs sister is 26 and apparently has debt of over 40,000 quid and growing.

On 5 credit cards.

Some from college and lots from extravagent shopping.

And she works in a shop.

She's just simply not going to come anywhere close to clearing that up.

I was speaking to a friend over the weekend.

His g/fs sister is 26 and apparently has debt of over 40,000 quid and growing.

On 5 credit cards.

Some from college and lots from extravagent shopping.

And she works in a shop.

She's just simply not going to come anywhere close to clearing that up.

Young, Dumb and full of..............nevermind. :wave:

Client of mine, a butcher, has lost 3 qualified tradesmen in the past 12 months. They were on top money for a butcher, but left and are now driving trucks in the mines (not underground, but moving the coal around the surface) on around triple what he could pay - and what they could expect as a qualified tradesperson. Makes it damned hard for the businesses near mines to attract new apprentices and to keep tradesmen.

I can save literally hundreds of them a month, Mr Wiggles, so can't be doing bad.

:)

Me too. I'm waiting for the pound to fall to 10 yen. Then I'll be rich!!!

As for save your ... comment, it was about boomtime salaries in the mines in Australia.

It sounds like things have gone a bit mental there!

Mental alright. One of the kid's dads in my sons football team has just been offered a management job in construction (mining housing).

He was offered 290k a year!

He's qualification in life.... A carpenter.

The usual reasons. Demand greater than the supply. Too many jobs, not enough people.

Well, not enough people who are willing to go live in a mining town in the middle of the desert three plane flights away from their families.

That and the fact that mining companies are wealthy beyond all reality.

As if I'd know! LOL

Well... I know a heap of people are working in the mines. I know WA is growing like a weed. I know mining is HUGE. And I know anyone worth a shizz in the industry is heading up there to take advantage.

But that's about it.

big wages, but a 3 bedroom house in Karratha rents for about $2500 per week, doesnt leave much of your big earnings left.

Most these days are FIFO (fly-in-fly-out) for 2 week rotations but thats a pretty ccrappy lifestyle

:confused:

Surely with such high salaries and people going to work there with no related "qualifications", there would be a rush to go and work there.

There is. As fast as the positions fill, more are being created. They are building whole towns out there. Like JA mentioned before. Businesses cant keep staff. Mining companies paoch the cream of crop.

If your keen and can put up with the crappy lifestyle then qualifications don't mean too much. Don't forget unemployment is relatively low here anyway, around 5% I think. Lower in some areas.

Three weeks on and one week off is what guys from here are doing. Most of them are getting the 100-300k jobs plus all expenses as well. Some guys see it as a way to get ahead in life. Do it for 5-10 years or so and set yourself up for life.

That only works IF the guys working actually SAVE some of the megabucks they are paid, and don't p*ss it up against the wall in a pub! (which is the most likely option).