Hello SJ Forums! I'm new (obviously) and wanted to say hello. I have been living on Okinawa for a couple years. Sadly, my Japanese sucks and there is no snow! I tried using my snowboard in the sand but... It just wasn't the same.

I've hit the slopes a couple times in the past, and the bug really bit me last year. I hit up Happo One twice for a couple long weekends with some friends last year. Unfortunately, they have since moved to the US looking for better jobs. Right now, I have two trips planned for this season and I am hoping to make it 3 total. I will be in Sapporo from 23 December until 3 January with my family.. I'd like to sneak off a couple of days and hit the nearby resorts. January 11th-18th I have already booked tickets to Chitose with the plan to hit the areas around Niseko (Grand Hirafu specifically). I am considering another trip in February for another 7 days, if work and money allows it. Is there anyone here that will be in the Niseko area in January of February? I'd don't have a lot of friends that are willing to make the trip from Okinawa to mainland for some snow action and I'd like to meet up with some people while I am there. The only person I found that wanted to go is having surgery and won't be out of his sling until after I return from Niseko in January so, as of right now, I am heading up solo.

Anyway, I hope to meet up with anyone that enjoys drinking beers and watching me bust my ass on the mountain.

I might have some free time around Christmas weekend to head up that way, but I'm not really sure how my schedule is going to pan out. I may only be able to hit the Sapporo-area snow resorts if I only have a day or two open.

I'll be driving up to Hokkaido again this year and will be in and around Sapporo from Dec 23 to the 3rd as well. I ski but don't hold that against me....wait a minute, I'm Canadian.....Is that two strikes?? ;) Cheers.

hardpacked, closer to the time set up a meet and greet/drinks at one of the local establishments on one of the first nights you are in town - there is bound to be a fair few forum members floating around, and they will likely bring friends - a few beers and a chat and you may well find riding/dining/drinking buddies. Alternatively talk to people on the lifts. There have been times when, despite travelling in a large family or group I have found myself out by myself. Sometimes the tranquility is nice, but all it takes is a few words to a single on the lifts (and there are quite a few) and you end up with a new ride partner for a few hours. Great way to meet interesting people.

I myself wont be there. Depressing much?!

I might have some free time around Christmas weekend to head up that way, but I'm not really sure how my schedule is going to pan out. I may only be able to hit the Sapporo-area snow resorts if I only have a day or two open.

I am not too worried about the December trip. My friend and I will be taking our families to that area for the first time for a family vacation trip. That's not to say I wouldn't mind meeting up and grabbing a beer or 3.

I'll be driving up to Hokkaido again this year and will be in and around Sapporo from Dec 23 to the 3rd as well. I ski but don't hold that against me....wait a minute, I'm Canadian.....Is that two strikes?? ;) Cheers.

The skiing I can look past but... Canadian? Sorry.. We cannot be friends. :)

hardpaRked, closer to the time set up a meet and greet/drinks at one of the local establishments on one of the first nights you are in town - there is bound to be a fair few forum members floating around, and they will likely bring friends - a few beers and a chat and you may well find riding/dining/drinking buddies. Alternatively talk to people on the lifts. There have been times when, despite travelling in a large family or group I have found myself out by myself. Sometimes the tranquility is nice, but all it takes is a few words to a single on the lifts (and there are quite a few) and you end up with a new ride partner for a few hours. Great way to meet interesting people.

I myself wont be there. Depressing much?!

Sounds like a plan. The best part about travelling is meeting new people.

Doh! :doh: Sorry about the spelling error on your name.

That is one of those 'the brain reads what it expects' kind of things!

Me being an Aussie and all ... hardpacked is kinda familiar! :sj-lol: Not in Niseko though - there will be none of that. Deep deep light as air powder coming your way :thumbsup:

SHOTGUN!!!

(Wouldnt it be cheaper and easier to just skymark it?)

Doh! :doh: Sorry about the spelling error on your name.

That is one of those 'the brain reads what it expects' kind of things!

Me being an Aussie and all ... hardpacked is kinda familiar! :sj-lol: Not in Niseko though - there will be none of that. Deep deep light as air powder coming your way :thumbsup:

No worries. You're forgiven.. Now, if you were a Canadian, we might have issues.

I will head up there from Tokyo Dec 29 to Jan 27, than again for 9 days in Feb. I am definately keen for a forum meet up in Niseko for sure.

Sounds good. February is still up in the air for me. I might be heading to Thailand for about 3 weeks. Hopefully I can figure out the dates soon and make plans to hit up the slopes before the end of the season.. Speaking of.. When is the end of the season up in the Hokkaido area?

Sounds good. February is still up in the air for me. I might be heading to Thailand for about 3 weeks. Hopefully I can figure out the dates soon and make plans to hit up the slopes before the end of the season.. Speaking of.. When is the end of the season up in the Hokkaido area?

Golden week for Niseko usually, the first week of May

Hey Hardpacked,

Give us a PM when you get here.

I'll be riding every day for the last 2 weeks of Dec and first 2 of Jan. I'm predicting mostly Teine & Rusutsu with some back country trips. Hopefully I'll get to visit Niseko once or twice over that period.

PS Anyone else that wants to meet up for a few lines/beers over winter, give us a yell :thumbsup:

There seems to some interest generated here for a catch up it seems there will be a fair few ppl around Niseko between the 14th - 30th....Why don't we organise a SJ members ride for a local charity??? Could be a great day meet new ppl and raise some coin for a well worth charity...get some local media involved??Just a thought.....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so, I changed my plans. I will be in Sapporo with my family from the 23rd of December until the 3rd of January. Then, I will be staying in the Hokkaido area until the (right now) the 18th of January. That might change depending on uncertain business trips.