• Minowa
    • Adatara Kogen
    • Other
  2. 2. When should we visit?

• December 2011
    • January 2012
    • February 2012
    • March 2012

For a meet-up in Fukushima, I suggest picking somewhere in the northern Fukushima (Inawashiro/Bandai/Adatara) area, which is readily accessible from all directions, being at the intersection of two expressways. The poll includes a suggested list of snow resorts in that area; people should feel free to suggest different places, either in the same area or further south. Multiple resorts and times can be chosen.

Maps, descriptions and reviews:

http://www.snowjapan...cture=Fukushima

I suggest Alts or Inawashiro, though sad to hear that Alts is cutting back. (Is that true?)

That's what their web site says. Lifts 1, 2, 3 and 8 down for the whole season, lifts 9 and 10 off on weekdays, and no nighters this season, except for special events.

Ouch.

How does 9 and 10 closed on weekdays affect how much you can access Metabo?

I've colored in their trail map to show the changes for 2011/2012:

gallery_10844_55_816876.png

Green: Lift operating daily

Yellow: Lift operating only on weekends and holidays

Red: Lift shut down all season.

I may well be up for this, but I don't know the area so would leave it to the ones in the know to decide where's best.

Same for me plus, for entirely selfish reasons (namely I'll be up in Hokkaido from the end of Jan onwards), I'd plump for January! :)

Is anyone from Kanagawa thinking of making the trip??

Looking like an impressive turn-out so far!

So far looks like Alts is in the lead, Jan. or Feb., with a slight preference for February over January (including Mick Rich's stated but unvoted preference), barring new or changed votes.

I had thought the best choice would be the middle of a 3-day weekend (as Man_In_Japan was arranging last year), though the only choice for that in Jan. and Feb. seems to be Sunday, 8 Jan. (Ignoring New Year's.) How would folks feel about that as a possibility?

Otherwise, perhaps a regular weekend in late Jan./early Feb. should be a good choice to be near the season peak.

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately, DiGriz, I am limited to being strictly a weekend warrior. I suppose many others are too, but of course I wouldn't want to discourage anyone else from arranging a weekday trip up there, either. The more the merrier!

Ended up springing for a season pass, so should be "commuting" to Fukushima somewhat regularly this winter. Feel a good season coming on. (Snowdude has guaranteed it.)

Was tempted by Alts/Nekoma, but Grandeco won the in-house polling.

The Grandeco pass also gives discounts at some other places including Inawashiro, Mt. Jeans and Hunter, so some opportunities for variety there.