Terminology - "Skiing" = skiing AND snowbaording?

so why can't you just say boarder's (or something like rider's) left/right and mean the same thing? it doesn't matter if your back or front is facing left or right, everyone's heading down the same mountain and therefore the left/right side relative to going down the run isn't going to change.

hmm, this is getting into interesting semantics. i think...

ski (v.)= to ski or to board

board (v.)= to snowboard

BUT

skier (n.)= a person who skis

boarder (n.) = person who snowboards.

am i crazy?? anyone else agree?

I see said the blind man. I'm glad I asked cause I initially assumed it was like in mountain biking where you say "on your left" to indicate you're passing the person in front on your left, but that didn't make sense hence my question...

domo,

I think we should freely use any of the "labels" we want, but some words do encompass broad areas of activities. For example "Let's go swimming" doesn't (I hope) imply that we all should practice our strokes over a few lengths. It puts out a general notion of fun & frivolity in the water that may or may not include breast-stroke, freestyle et al. Even non-swimmers can go swimming. I also recall in days gone past often going "surfing". Some surfboarded, boogyboarded, surfmatted, kneeboarded, bodysurfed and others played, swam, drank, partied etc - BUT we all went surfing. Many more examples abound. Skiing has acquired somewhat a similar non-specific snow activity tag for the broader population coz it was the first general word applied I guess. I wouldn't take it's use all too seriously, not enough to feel victimized for crissakes. Happy slidin' \:D

I never 'breast-stroke' at the pool, although God knows, I've been tempted (especially last weekend at the pool at Nozawa - ye Gods, that bikini invited it!) I 'frog-swim'.

The term 'skiing', used to encompass various types of fun sliding on snow, will surely slip from common usage when the inexorable march of snowboarding wipes the term 'ski resort' from the languages of the world.

Perhaps.

O-!! That "perhaps" time will probably be when all the swimming pools & centres change their narrowly defining names to non-discriminatory ones such as Water World or Aqua Park or Sea Gaia or sumpin like that. \:\)

Frog-swim is advanced mellow. Mostly done 2 cm off the bottom of the pool.

(Totally off topic still - sorry: I took my boy to an 'onsen-pool' a while back. Trying to swim in hot water is horrible!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...