Snowboarding in Japan compared to Australia

(...or is it 'with' Australia?)

Hi wave

New here.

Been snowboarding for about 10 years now, mostly in Australia with one two week stint over in the US. So that's what I'm used to.

Friends and I are thinking about going over to Japan this winter. No firm plans yet just a want to and have heard good things.

I'm really interested to get to Japan anyway not just for the boarding but both together sounds like an awesome trip. I'm really pushing for it.

Problem is, will I be able to enjoy it back here after being spoilt by Japan. Or is that just a myth? wink

Good to be here.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gooble,

I know a lot of people who say they are 'spoilt' and will no longer ski/board in Aus. But my experiences in Japan keep the fire burning and have probably kept me going to Oz resorts just so I can get a half time fix! I can find fun on a board in POW, hard pack and slush - ice I am not as fond of...but even that can be a laugh at times.

Come. Enjoy.

And find the fun in whatever you have, where ever you have it.

Originally Posted By: rider69
Then againt the failure of J-resorts to properly price things isnt helping them either.

Do tell what you think 'proper pricing' would be for them.
Originally Posted By: SKI
Originally Posted By: rider69
Then againt the failure of J-resorts to properly price things isnt helping them either.

Do tell what you think 'proper pricing' would be for them.

To make a profit maybe? wink
Originally Posted By: gooble

Problem is, will I be able to enjoy it back here after being spoilt by Japan. Or is that just a myth? wink

For me Aus resorts have never really offered much value for money even before I'd ventured overseas to ski in good snow and terrain. The only time I skied at Aus resorts in the past was if I stayed in a tent just outside of the resort boundary. Otherwise I only ski backcountry in Aus which I consider to be of an excellent standard even when compared to other countries. But if spending in excess of $200 a day per person on what is normally terrible quality snow is what you consider good value then that's fine by me.

Japan you'll find is much cheaper for much better vertical and you really can't compare the snow quality. In over 20 years of skiing in Aus amongst the highest peaks on the continent I can say I only had maybe 2 days where the snow was similar in quality to Niseko on an average January day. The best day I've ever experienced in Aus doesn't come close to a good day in NIseko. And the epic days will totally redefine what you know about snow quality. And in places like Niseko there are quite a lot of epic days (I can only talk about Hokkaido as I've not skied on Honshu). Many resorts in Japan receive more snow just in January alone than many Aus resorts receive in a whole season. This says it all really.

So will Aus be spoilt for you? Probably. If you're rich like MB and you can easily affford to ski both southern and northern hemisphere winters then why wouldn't you? If you're on a bit more of a budget then I personally would definitely save my money for a longer trip each year in Japan (or somewhere else with good ski resorts and snow quality) than paying overinflated prices for the sub standard conditions at Aus resorts.
Originally Posted By: Go Native
If you're rich like MB and you can easily affford to ski both southern and northern hemisphere winters then why wouldn't you?

rollabout
We earn a good living GN, but we are far from rich!
We just prioritize the things that make us happy.
Having said that - this year we only managed 3.5 days on the Aussie snow, and a large factor was finances.

MB I'd say you spend more on family holidays each year than my gross annual income (well what my gross income in Japan was). I can't help but think that's gotta be considered pretty rich in anyones estimation. You would easily be in the top five percent of Aussie income. I wonder what on earth you consider rich if you're not it?! omg

I know you've worked damn hard to get where you are today and I certainly don't hold anything against you for it (I actually admire you greatly) but come on you're a very, very long way from an Aussie battler these days. Don't be ashamed to admit it, you're loaded!! party

lol

If we ceased trading, sold up, and cleared our debts there would be no more ski trips GN. I will consider us wealthy when we can retire and still go on one or two ski trips a year.

But yes, we are very fortunate that we are usually able to afford a trip in both northern and southern seasons.

We would go a lot less however if we didn't value the ski experience so highly. There are no Jimmy Choo's in my closet, no Prada Handbags on my shoulder, and pretty much the only diamonds I have were inherited recently from my grandmother. In fact PB felt that after 20yrs of marriage I should have a lovely wedding set gracing my hand, but I negotiated a ski trip instead!

lol

Addict, I think is the word you are looking for wink

SO there ya go...

We are all agreed.

Spend ALL your money on snowboarding in Japan. Because it is awesome!

And if still want to go to Aus - YAY!

If you don't - at least you have not missed out on Japan biggrin

Sandgropers = WA people.

They are an insect thing.

Sandgropercredit2.jpg

There was an advertising campaign in the 70s I think that had a mascot 'Sunny Sandgroper'.

Being a unique to WA invertebrate (I think that is what it is) the name is used to describe Western Australian natives wink

L230bc15d5093beb2e6927a42d7cb0cf2.PNG

The soft toy Sunny Sandgropper that Channel 7 used to distribute was much more attractive!

It was a fund raiser for Telethon if I remember correctly!