Re-Entry permits to be Abolished

I'm curious...

I forgot to get one of those, if I was to go back does anyone know what the scenario would be? I turned in the gaijin card and have a valid visa. Would it be easy for me to re enter?

MitchPee: When you come back to Japan you will just have to reapply for a gaijin card, no big deal. It doesn't void your visa if you are on a spouse visa (source: personal experience). However, it may affect your application for permanent residency as they like you to have a consecutive reentry permit of x years.

You can sum it up this change like this:

"We want to put IC chip in the gaijin card so that we can track you better. In return for this, we will stop charging you the ludicrous reentry permit 'gaijin tax'. PS: spouse visa now valid for 5 years instead of 3."

There is a load of moaning on debito.org about this IC chip issue if you are interested.

Originally Posted By: DiGriz
You will be GPS tracked in real-time and the chip includes a capsuled lethal dose of blowfish toxin that can be activated by microwave transmission from Tokyo Sky Tree
veryshocked

Jim, don't forget about the dammed monkey's in Shiga Kogen, I knew they were working for the government all along.

Mitch, you were told not to release that information. You were warned; now you'll have to face the consequences -- let's just say that if I were you I'd be real careful about how I click into my bindings...

Debito must be elated to have something new to bitch and complain about. Not that that's a bad thing.

I'm a PR so I'm glad to see that the re-entry permit crap is going away.

One question though..Is this card and renewal of this card to be done at the immigration office or our local city office?

Originally Posted By: bobby12
You can sum it up this change like this:

"We want to put IC chip in the gaijin card so that we can track you better. In return for this, we will stop charging you the ludicrous reentry permit 'gaijin tax'. PS: spouse visa now valid for 5 years instead of 3."

There is a load of moaning on debito.org about this IC chip issue if you are interested.

Can I have a pie with those chips please?

Sounds good to me. (Especially the pie bit!) wink
Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Debito must be elated to have something new to bitch and complain about. Not that that's a bad thing.

One question though..Is this card and renewal of this card to be done at the immigration office or our local city office?

If this is what they were talking about doing a few years ago then yes, we'll have to go to the immigration office instead of the city hall... and that includes simple things like work and address changes.

Interesting, wonder how that will effect me as I have a permanent visa status which does not expire. I guess that makes no difference, just the re-entry part will increase to 5 years?

Originally Posted By: snowdude
Interesting, wonder how that will effect me as I have a permanent visa status which does not expire. I guess that makes no difference, just the re-entry part will increase to 5 years?

I'm a PR, too. Not really clear is it? So, re-entry permit to 5 years and we have to re-new the card (assuming we get one) every 7 years. Right?
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Originally Posted By: Chriselle

If this is what they were talking about doing a few years ago then yes, we'll have to go to the immigration office instead of the city hall... and that includes simple things like work and address changes.

Can you go to your city hall now BM?
I thought it was immigration office now (?)

"Interesting, wonder how that will effect me as I have a permanent visa status which does not expire. I guess that makes no difference, just the re-entry part will increase to 5 years?"

There will be no reentry permit.