Originally Posted By: dale#1
I want a full time job like that!

pay compared to most salary jobs in Japan is pretty S&%t,
but the perks are great availability of time off.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I'm becoming much less inclined to work extra just to get more money. My time and enjoyment is gradually becoming more important.

That's why I moved to live and work in a ski area. The pay was crap but the lifestyle amazing. When you live where you would normally pay to have a holiday life is pretty good. And I was really glad not to have to do the teaching thing as both my wife and I disliked it.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Originally Posted By: muikabochi

I'm becoming much less inclined to work extra just to get more money. My time and enjoyment is gradually becoming more important.

That's why I moved to live and work in a ski area. The pay was crap but the lifestyle amazing. When you live where you would normally pay to have a holiday life is pretty good. And I was really glad not to have to do the teaching thing as both my wife and I disliked it.

I have to say im pretty sick of the teaching thing. By the time i was interviewing for the positions back in japan i really thought "theres no way i can fake enthusiasm for this anymore. Im like 36 years old, ive had students treating me with shades of mockery and superiority for nigh on 6 years now while i smile and then congratulate them for being able to tell me theyre fine thanks."

Yet here we are again...

Still, plenty worse ways to earn a living.

I never overly liked any job I had in Niseko. I did what I did fairly well but it wasn't exactly challenging or overly interesting and the pay was always crap. It was never about the work though it was all about the lifestyle of living at (or very close by) to a ski resort. Instead of having to organise holidays to go skiing it was all there right on my doorstep with a season pass as part of the salary package. Living in a great community of people from all over the world who had a love of skiing and the outdoors. In terms of lifestyle it was living the dream for me (not so much my wife). In terms of work/career it wasn't great. We were pretty lucky though in that we went to Japan in a very secure financial situation so the pay wasn't a big issue. A couple of my bosses lamented the fact that they couldn't motivate me by offering more money. I always told them I wanted more time off not more money.

Back in Aus now I really miss the lifestyle and community but the business we have bought is as close to my dream job as I could wish for. For the first time ever in my life I actually don't mind the idea of living to work. I really love going to work (that's easier to do when you're the boss). And the pay is certianly much, much better. It had always previously been strictly working to live for me. Still not sure if I'll ever get over the idea of living where it doesn't snow though. I could definitely see myself wanting to move back to retire in Hokkaido in 15-20 years time. Or at least spend significant periods of the year there.

For those people who are late to the party (like me) the 15% discount applies until October 31st.

Big thanks to the OP for posting the info, guess I owe you a beer :)

For those people who are late to the party (like me) the 15% guess applies until October 31st.

Big thanks to the OP for posting the info, guess I owe you a beer :)

Well if your in Niseko in Jan or Feb I might have to take you up on the offer of a beer :)

Well if your in Niseko in Jan or Feb I might have to take you up on the offer of a beer :)

I plan to be there all season, but if mrs j. and the little j's decide they can't cope with the cold I may be prematurely dragged back to Tokyo.

It's not cheap is it? A barmaid in Yuzuwa told me her off peak (monday - friday) season pass was something like 15,000 so I was expecting similar. I was a bit bloody shocked when I saw the price.