Ah sensationalism media again at its finest.

Fun fact: Japan has more debt (although a different kind) as a % of GDP than the US.

The issue is we have a ton of demagogues in this country that can easily stir simple minded people which are plentiful. They use scapegoats like "welfare slugs and immigrants are taking your tax dollars". Terms that the average Joe can relate to and most importantly get angry about to further polarize the situation.

The Iraq/Afghan war, irresponsible spending/investing, toxic assets, speculative trading, compounds of interest on current debt, Americans individual inefficient spending...are all the major factors in the debt rise.

However the left would rather blame predecessors and the right would blame the government itself. If only it was an innocent travesty I could laugh, but this is a serious situation and the US is not handling it in any sort of intelligent way.

So I guess I just have to shout out a sarcastic god bless the USA!

Originally Posted By: yoroshiku onegai shimasu
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Ah sensationalism media again at its finest.

Are they making up the story about massive global stock sell-offs?

confused

Sensationalism doesn't mean something was made up. It's more about word choice. Sensationalism means the media has been drumming up fear for the past month is this country and other media outlets have loved to do the same. There's absolutely no neutral tones when used talking about these reports...ie sensationalism.

Also, if you can picture a multi-head creature who is the enemy of a stable economy....speculative and anticipatory trading would be 2 of the main heads on it. Terrible analogy I know, but I have absolutely no gift for comparing things.
Sensationalism doesn't mean something was made up. It's more about word choice. Sensationalism means the media has been drumming up fear for the past month is this country and other media outlets have loved to do the same. There's absolutely no neutral tones when used talking about these reports...ie sensationalism.

All sounds a bit sensationalise that lot

smile
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
how's your Dad's bowing, Pies?

He doesn't have to bow, silly, because he's never wrong!

best to cover all bases though, Pies get your Dad practicing some "Really sorry bows" JUST in case thumbsup
Quote:
The credit rating agency Standard & Poor's has stripped the US of its top-notch AAA credit rating, downgrading it to AA+ and warning of further future downgrades because of political and economic uncertainty.

The humbling downgrade of the world's economic superpower came late on Friday night, after news surfaced of a furious rearguard attempt by the White House to convince S&P that its figures were faulty.

Those sensationalists, S&P. slap
Originally Posted By: Curt
Quote:
The credit rating agency Standard & Poor's has stripped the US of its top-notch AAA credit rating, downgrading it to AA+ and warning of further future downgrades because of political and economic uncertainty.

The humbling downgrade of the world's economic superpower came late on Friday night, after news surfaced of a furious rearguard attempt by the White House to convince S&P that its figures were faulty.

Those sensationalists, S&P. slap

I'm not saying the matter isn't severe. However, it is completely absurd to take it to the level of apocalyptic economic collapse the media seems to be portraying.

Not to mention all of this negativity only ceases to hurt investment.
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Are you actually expecting anything different from "the news", Mitch?

wink

nope, but just hoping one day we can collectively stop this bullshit that is fed to us on a 24 hour basis (mostly in the US).
Originally Posted By: big-will
How exactly do you want to report these things?

And why don't you just avoid the media you think to be 'sensational' in reporting these things and stick to more serious 'unbiased' ones?

Uh, if you're talking to me I would like them reported with tones and dialect that are much more concerned with factual analysis of a situation rather than the emotional appeal of a ridiculous scenario.

Also, I don't watch the news, so unless something has changed then I will still presume it to be a factory of demagoguery.

It's pretty simple stuff, I am not quite sure why my critique of the media's appeal to behavioral instincts and emotion stirred such confrontation?
Originally Posted By: big-will
How exactly do you want to report these things?

And why don't you just avoid the media you think to be 'sensational' in reporting these things and stick to more serious 'unbiased' ones?

Uh, if you're talking to me I would like them reported with tones and dialect that are much more concerned with factual analysis of a situation rather than the emotional appeal of a ridiculous scenario.

Also, I don't watch the news, so unless something has changed then I will still presume it to be a factory of demagoguery.

It's pretty simple stuff, I am not quite sure why my critique of the media's appeal to behavioral instincts and emotion stirred such confrontation?

Confrontation? confused

Your 'critique' sounds itself like some sort of tabloid, albeit using some posh words that not many will understand. (Demagoguery? cool).
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Originally Posted By: Man_In_Japan

It's not like the US owes money on this to other countries does it?

Yep - China.

China is not funding the deficit, in fact none of the UST Bonds fund anything. The USTs that China owns was/is purchased with USDs already in the system. The bonds that are purchased mop up liquidity pumped into the system.

When the gov’t wants to spend money they do not have, they create it, and if there are no open market buyers then the FED buys the bonds. In other words, if China did not buy another UST Bond it would not stop the USG from spending into deficit.
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I'm pretty sure that US Social Security is the largest debt owner... something like 3 times that of China's.

Yup, US bond holders as well, Japan is in there too!