I bet Japanese trains don't have to operate in such extreme conditions!

Yes, there may have been times when trains in the UK have been delayed.

But they have been due to very extreme circumstances.

Like leaves on lines, animals on lines, a few cm of snow and other extremes.

The latest one today...

Quote:
Heatwave forces trains to go slow

Britain's heat wave has resulted in trains running slowly due to the risk of overhead wires overheating.

A Network Rail spokeswoman said: "We're already doing weekend work on overhead wires on this route and the wires can overheat in very hot weather.

"A speed restriction has been introduced and it may be lowered to 60mph in the hottest part of the day."

Apparently it's really serious. The climate crisis in the UK is so severe (according to the climate models) that London has been forced to invest in a desalination plant. The UK water crisis will come as a surprise to most Australians.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/02/thames-water-desalination-plant

It's worse than we thought.

Japan finds a social value in investing in an efficient train system. The Yamagata shinkansen were replaced a couple of years ago after a service life of about 18 years.

I contrast the UK attempts (fails) to run trains at a profit. I see that what were the Intercity 125 units, about 10 years old when I lived in Reading (late 80s) are still in service. Unreliability is hardly surprising when your rolling stock is 30 years old.

Ah yes, it (like the identical Akita shinkansen) has special magic powers. These two services run up and down the Tohoku main line at normal speed, coupled to the standard double decker sets. For Yamagata, they split the sets at Fukushima. The line to Yamagata is conventional standard gauge track, and it operates as an express rather than a Shinkansen. The trick is the mini shinks fit through the existing bridges and tunnels (mostly) so it became relatively cheap to feed into the mainline system.