• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: echineko
Hi
I am going to London in August for 10 days.
I was wondering for tip about tips!
Japanese guide book always mention about tip in hotel, but I woud like to know first hand feedback. Do you give tip in hotel? And how? Already we paid for hotel in full. Also, do you give something to person when they take you to room. Seems strange to me just for that but is it... 本当?!

Hiya Echi

This is dated advice. Also, unlike Japan, unless you're staying somewhere upmarket, I doubt there'll be a person to take you and your bags to the room. The receptionist will just hand you the key and say "third floor".

Japanese guide books are generally stuck in the past when it comes to this, especially for a country like Britain where the historical image is increasingly not the reality. I quite like the arukikata ones though because they tend to have good maps and lots of photos. Photos of food are much more useful than the roundabout descriptions you get in English guidebooks.

10 days is plenty of time, so are you going to head off somewhere? I'd recommend a cheap flight to Scotland (e.g., Aberdeen) and renting a car for a few days.
Originally Posted By: Chriselle
I think Pie-eater and I are on the same page regarding tipping. Definitely one of the big pluses to living in Japan. We went to Hawaii a few years back and almost got into a fist fight with a restaurant manager about the "built in" tip. That messed up crap will never fly with me.

rolleyes By law, do you have to tip in Hawaii? I thought it is expected and customary, but built in!? How much (%) was on top ?
Just for that, I would have just paid the amount without tip and walked out.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: griller
That is the problem.
Service is absolutely terrible in many places.
Shouldn't mean you pay more for what is expected in the first place.

It should not work like that.
No. I agree. It should not work like that.

At the very least I have committed myself to saying "Thanks. Wow. Great customer service!" when people do the right thing. I think the directory assistance fellow appreciated it yesterday lol

I wish we had insurance cover over customer service bills in Australia.

You know, what really shits me in Germany?

You got to order some overpriced drinks and they don´t give you water from the tap for free. Yeah, great customer service.

And expects to get 10-15% tip.

We basically give them under 2 euros whatever the amout we eat for dinner, cos we reckon they have already made 5 euros out of soft drinks when all we want is to eat.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
well I wouldn't say Aberdeen, but a cheap flight to Edinburgh would be well worth it

The idea would be to see Tayside (Balmoral area for those who don't know) and drive off further inland or further north. Aberdeen's just an example launch point.

For Japanese readers, you can rent a little automatic car for twenty pounds a day or a manual for under fifteen. Its much cheaper and more convenient than using public transport. In deep countryside, a car is the only way to get around.

You mean Deeside....right? smile Yeah, Mr W, I'd still avoid Aberdeen though! lol Still easy access from edinburgh and its a much nicer city to visit.....on the plus side, BOTH are only an hour from Dundee!! wink

Yeah Balmoral area is really nice. And a little drive up into the hills and you get to that skijo place I found a few years back. Definitely get a car for some exploring though if you go somewhere like that.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Yeah Balmoral area is really nice. And a little drive up into the hills and you get to that skijo place I found a few years back. Definitely get a car for some exploring though if you go somewhere like that.

The Lecht.....that was my first ever place on a snowboard
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Originally Posted By: Chriselle
I think Pie-eater and I are on the same page regarding tipping. Definitely one of the big pluses to living in Japan. We went to Hawaii a few years back and almost got into a fist fight with a restaurant manager about the "built in" tip. That messed up crap will never fly with me.

rolleyes By law, do you have to tip in Hawaii? I thought it is expected and customary, but built in!? How much (%) was on top ?
Just for that, I would have just paid the amount without tip and walked out.

Not a law. Not a custom. It's not specifically a Hawaii thing either. There are a lot of restaurants in major metropolitan US cities that have a little "a 15% gratuity will be added for parties of X or more" note in the menu. Check the menu and walk out if this kind of thing bothers you before you order (I've done this, and even told the host/hostess the reason why).

What really "makes my blood boil" as they say is when they stick an "optional" service charge onto the bill and you effectively have to ask to have the thing taken off.

If I see that, I will without question, ask for it to be taken off. It just seriously pisses me off and they can sod right off. The cheeky bastards.

• 3 weeks later...

It is added, the cheeky **** bastards.

Do not feel in any way embarrassed asking them to take it off - it's optional after all.

If the waiter/ress did something absolutely unbelievably spectacular, like bringing you your meal when it is ready, and you really really want to reward them for going out of their way to do that, you can give them a tip in cash.

Be polite. But take a stand. Don't be a sucker.

pie doesn't like tips, if you didn't know already wink

The practice of putting 12.5% on a bill when you get it and calling it optional though is taking the piss.

Back to original post, what is the tips situation in hotels? I would imagine lots of people now pay up front with online bookings. A case of slipping (or not) a few coins to bag handlers (for, er, doing their job)?