Hi

I am going to London in August for 10 days.

I was wondering for tip about tips!

Japanese guide book always mention about tip in hotel, but I woud like to know first hand feedback. Do you give tip in hotel? And how? Already we paid for hotel in full. Also, do you give something to person when they take you to room. Seems strange to me just for that but is it... 本当?!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi echineko

I remember a tip thread a few years back.

My thoughts are.... nope.

You pay the price on the bill.

I wholeheartedly recommend that.

Beyond that, it just gets silly, and annoys me.

Another reason why Japan is so fab.

If the staff do something spectacularly out of the ordinary for me, then they get a tip.

For them doing their job, of which they are paid to do, then nothing.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Originally Posted By: Man_In_Japan
If the staff do something spectacularly out of the ordinary for me, then they get a tip.

Like what, Rob?
Give you a blow job or something?

No need for that sort of language is there? naughty
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
It was a bit of a joke. wink
But seriously, what sort of situation do you mean?

I dunno, say for example I lose my wallet and need to go to the police station, the hotel would lend me the money, perhaps organise some stuff for me, then that would be going out of their way.

Or maybe organising some seats at a restaurant that has been fully booked for months on end.

Has that wallet story happened to you?

Sorry, restaurant story... it's part of the frikking job.

It's called customer service.

They are rewarded with word of mouth, repeat business, etc.

It totally bewilders me how lots of people just throw cash around in these situations. Why in this situation and not others? I think people who throw tips around are either mad, stupid or just have too much money.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Has that wallet story happened to you?

Yes it has, and the hotel were incredibly helpful considering that they could have just said "go to the police station".

I don't get it either pie-eater.

'Great service' should be the norm.

You certainly shouldn't feel obliged to pay extra for it.

And why people feel that way in a restaurant?

Why not in a bank, or the hairdressers, or the cake shop, or the post office etc etc - when you get 'great service' in those places?

It does seem to be a very silly and illogical thing to do.

Despite having been born and raised in the US, I have to admit that I also don't understand the tipping culture there any more.

Last time I stayed in a hotel there, I left a tip for the cleaning staff there. Next day, when I ran into said staff in the hallway by coincidence, they let me know that tips were not expected, and hinted that they were considered somewhat insulting. Not some fancy hotel, either, quite a run-of-the-mill place. wakaranai

I hope this is a harbinger of a trend in the US away from the barbaric practice of tipping.

I must admit, when I go into the bank and they all say irasshaimase very politely and give me a pack of tissues every now and again, it does make me feel that I would like to tip them for such 'great service'.

wink

I was thinking of tipping the car company too when they did my shaken. I remember being impressed with the way they.... er, did their job. Deserves a tip that!

I have had the most appalling customer service lately from the official Miele service agent.

Took 2 weeks to get someone out to fix my dryer.

But he couldn't fix it - couldn't even lift it to fix it.

We helped him lift it.

Oh - we don't carry parts will have to order it and come back.

Here is the bill for today omg $$$ omg

Call from service person - part will take about 5 days to get in and will cost $xxx. Ummm yeah, ok, go ahead, and can we book in the time NOW?

oh no...we will call you when the part comes in - it is our POLICY.

Part takes 9 days.

Call: We can offer you an appointment in a week and a half between 12 and 4pm.

Me: umm...I can do 12 -3, and can get back home in 5minutes if someone calls between 3 and 4 - but I cant be home 3-4. Can your guy call me when he is coming?

Caller: No. it is not our policy. Our service people don't carry mobile phones.

Me: oh really? Well he used one when he was here a few weeks ago!

Caller: Can we offer you 2 weeks 12-4.

Me: I have kids to pick up 12-4 does not work for me - can we narrow it down a bit.

Caller: No

ARGH!

Still waiting for it to be fixed. And I will be here Wednesday 12-4 like demanded of me.

If I found someone who was able to fix my dryer and was helpful and reasonable I would probably tip them. Why? Coz I want them to come back and know how much that kind of awesome customer service means to customers in a world where it often appears less and less.

Never been totally comfortable or understanding of it really but since I have been living in Japan, I have found the whole tipping thing pretty ridiculous and do not partake any more.

Originally Posted By: griller
That is the problem.
Service is absolutely terrible in many places.
Shouldn't mean you pay more for what is expected in the first place.

It should not work like that.
No. I agree. It should not work like that.

At the very least I have committed myself to saying "Thanks. Wow. Great customer service!" when people do the right thing. I think the directory assistance fellow appreciated it yesterday lol

I think Pie-eater and I are on the same page regarding tipping. Definitely one of the big pluses to living in Japan. We went to Hawaii a few years back and almost got into a fist fight with a restaurant manager about the "built in" tip. That messed up crap will never fly with me.

Count me in as well.

I do like to reward what I think is over and above good service, but it's usually words or a good word online or something.

The price is the price, that's what they get.

The people who pay me don't give me extra because I provide excellent service, though they may well recommend me which in itself is worth a lot.