wave Hurro Peeps wave

I am back from my long weekend at Thredbo.

Was great to catch up with TJ for a drink while there too cheers

It was definitely spring conditions.

There were a number of groomers that were no go zones as a result of patchy or gone snow, but the ones that remained were in really great condition for the most part.

We arrived Friday just as they belatedly opened the lifts due to ice that needed to be regroomed, but we found the cover fine - no really hairy spots of concrete ice on piste. The slush got a bit wet in some places that were low on Friday and Saturday just after lunch, but up high maintained condition remarkably well in the glorious sunshine. By the time we headed down (lift close) it had firmed up quite a bit again.

Sunday and Monday it was much dryer 'slush' very sugary and not wet to fall on. I think the only thing better on a board would have been a decent dump of powder (but that was never going to happen).

The new electronic ticketing worked well at Thredbo, but we witnessed a few "fails" that held up the lift lines. Of the 8 of us that went, none experienced a fail. One thing that did make me laugh though - the sensor area was level with the top of my left arm - a card arm band bought in Niseko a few years ago made getting through the gates a breeze for me... However when I commented on how cute the little girl with a party hat taped to her helmet looked, her father rolled his eyes and said "it has her lift pass taped to the inside". She needed the extra height from a kiddies cardboard hat to get tall enough to register. That is SOME oversight! slap

The odd eye roll moment of numptie behaviour, but all in all a FANTASTIC weekend of boarding all day and apres all evening. The Bear Clan have returned home happy as, and with big plans for our future boarding exploits wink

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Was great to catch up with TJ for a drink while there too cheers

Actually...while on that topic! Geez, snow sports is a small community! The morning after our drink with TJ, we were waiting at the river inn deck for our youngest to get sorted with his school mate (another surprise that he was there) to go out for a freeride lesson when we spied a Dad and son that were staying at White Horse at the same time as us in January!! So we had a catch up with them too!!
lol

Well we just had the warmest August on record here in the SE of Aus which of course hasn't been good for the snow. Things had started out reasonably well but it's more like the end of September than the end of August in terms of snow conditions now. I went up for some x-country a couple of times but certainly didn't waste my money at any of the downhill resorts (and never will). Looking forward to getting back to Niseko next winter!

Originally Posted By: charlotte
Sounds great Mamabear. How far from Thredbo do you live?
3798km's by the quickest route by road wink
lol

Thursday 4.30pm flight Perth to Canberra (10pm early arrival).
Hire Car: Drive to Cooma (about an hour) - stay overnight.
Up early, drive another hour to Jindabyne - quick shop to get #2 son some new snowboard pants, seeing as his old ones had holes in them.
Final half hour or so up to Thredbo.
Arrive as the lifts were opening (they were delayed due to icy conditions).

That is my 'local' mountain. Sad. I know.

Yes charlotte, we have.

It is the only Euro resort we have been to, and it will be 3 yrs between trips. The destination was chosen by our companions - he was a ski instructor there for years, so it is important to them to go there.

However, to assuage our need to see new places we will spend the middle week of our 3 weeks traveling and will visit Verbier and Chamonix (fingers crossed that all goes to plan!)

We most certainly do love it.

Incredible strike rate of 6 from 6 too - there is not a single family member who does not love a ski trip.

It is awesome to see so many amazing ski resorts around the world. But I have to say, dodgy snow or not, there is nothing like riding the mountain in your home country.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I went up for some x-country a couple of times but certainly didn't waste my money at any of the downhill resorts (and never will). Looking forward to getting back to Niseko next winter!

GN, I doubt that I would ever go to an Aussie resort again either if it wasn't for the kids. They don't care what the conditions are like so long as they have some white stuff to slide on (and a thousand jumps) and the fact that I can drive them there from my house, with everthing I need, and not have to deal with Jet lag, visas, passports, airport parking..etc, makes it not a bad deal.

Mantas I'm not really a fan of ski resorts anywhere. I come from a backcountry background. Prior to living in the Niseko region I only rarely skied at resorts. I have never spent a night in paid accommodation at an Australian ski resort and never will. Only reason I skied at Niseko resort so much was because I got a lift pass as part of my renumeration package and so much of the skiing there was like lift serviced backcountry. Generally only skied at Rusutsu or Moiwa when I got free lift passes. I've always had issues with paying for skiing since I generally prefer the backcontry anyway. If I can't get free passes I'll generally just go backcountry. None of this will change when my daughter is old enough to ski. I reckon she'll be telemarking like a champ in the backcountry with me by the time she's 5 (hope so anyway) wink

Originally Posted By: Mantas
If I did that I'd have to build some grinds and boxes and lug them up into the back country. lol
Oh I pay that!

And I think I would have to also lug up a full stocked bar with girls dressed in Austrian costumes plying schnapps to make Mr Bear happy too. LOL