• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
What´s your ritual at the conclusion, with your boys Mantas ?

The local Hash is a pretty tame, family friendly affair. The kids love it, they get to run around at night with torches following a trail and yelling coded messages etc.
I once did one in the Northern Territory and there was a hell of a lot of drinking involved. It was madness. Running around the scrub in 35 deg heat drinking green ginger wine at every stop.
They describe themselves as drinkers with a running problem.
Originally Posted By: Mantas

They describe themselves as drinkers with a running problem.

I've seen more than one of these t-shirts around our club!
my_drinking_team_has_a_rugby_problem_mou
lol

Been 'running' on the cross trainer the last couple of days - and feeling it, the fitness disappears FAST when you don't do it, doesn't it!
But I stamped my feet on the floorboards to call the puppy off eating the boys legs this morning and nearly went through the roof with shin pain - I am CLEARLY not ready to run yet. doh

did the physio tell you why you are getting shin splints MB? Mines were because I leaned in slightly to the inside of my foot, putting added pressure on the sheath thats around your muscles and attaches to the bone. that fibrous membrane was splintering, causing the pain I felt. After getting insoles to correct the lean it changed the way I walked and allowed the sheath to heal.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
did the physio tell you why you are getting shin splints MB? Mines were because I leaned in slightly to the inside of my foot, putting added pressure on the sheath thats around your muscles and attaches to the bone. that fibrous membrane was splintering, causing the pain I felt. After getting insoles to correct the lean it changed the way I walked and allowed the sheath to heal.
Yeah Tubby - almost identical.
I have a heavy heel strike, and then as I roll through the length of my foot I have an aggressive pronation - inwards roll. I have next to no arches, and very weak anterior tibialis (apparently just one of those things and really difficult to train it to be stronger - although I have a couple of exercise I do every day for that). I also have hypermobile ankle joints, which means my ligaments and muscles in my ankle are working extra hard to stop me rolling my ankle.

I pick my new orthotics up on tuesday (but I have been using an old pair - 15 yrs old!; and also bought some off the shelf ones - using them in different shoes - one set of my shoes are super aggressive in the arch, so I only have the light control ones in those shoes.

Also the shoes - got Brooks Ariels which are the most aggressive on the market. Recommended by Podiatrist.

Have been getting regular taping - of feet to lift arches, and of the anterior tibialis with 'magic' tape wink

Had and having acupuncture to reduce the inflammation and speed healing.

But it is going to take a while, even with those actions - stress fractures usually take 6 weeks of rest. I hope that is all it is.

good luck then MB, cos I know how painful shin splints can be. I was 15-16 when I got them, wasn't carrying any weight and my mates justthought I was a lazy bassa making excuses for not playing footy. smile

Anything special happening in early August YOS?

I like running on the beach, but all running is off limits at the moment.

More Acupuncture and Myofascial Release Massage today - GOD that hurt! Based on when I started treating this issue I should be half way through the recovery - but I feel like I am just at the beginning of a long haul.

I had a short run today - across a Rugby field to tell a Ref off.

Umah! I think I am in trouble on two fronts....physio is gonna kill me, and not sure RugbyWA will be too happy with me questioning the referee, and pointing out that he was an idiot. doh

YEah...not usually.

I clocked #3 having trouble in the scrum and could see something was up... the opposition Loose Head tried to head butt him, my tight head pushed his back and stepped back, so the Loose Head took a swing and punched him across his jaw. I was not happy at that point.

Ref told them both off, but went harder on mine (who is a big rule follower - not dirty at all - now if it was #4 that would be different, but this one is a clean respectful player.).

Next scrum, kid headbutt mine so hard his ear bled and swelled - he pulled back, grabbed his ear and cried out the F word. Ref carded him for ref abuse, sent him off and docked the team 8pts. It was a disgrace.

After our manager had a word with him with no response I took #3 across and made him look at the damage (looks like #3 will have one cauliflower ear by the end of it) - and pointed out that the kid is respectful and was not abusing him, but crying out in pain. If the refs can't look out for good kids playing a clean game then they will lose all those players and end up with just a horde of dirty players. I pointed out to him that this is the 2nd time in 2 weeks that #3 has been significantly injured in an uncontrolled scrum, and that it is really not acceptable. Respect the role; respect the person works both ways - he instantly gets the respect of my lad because of the role, but the harsh calls are rapidly making him lose all respect for the role.

It was an extraordinary situation, but this year is particular bad for some reason - across all teams experiences. I don't have a problem with dodgy calls that give away play advantage, but where safety is concerned I get fired up.

Mind you I had taken #4 home with a neck injury (from a poorly controlled scrum) in the early morning - so I was already a bit upset before this event too.

MB- Sounds like a crappy situation. I'm not sure how I would've reacted to that. I'm a believer of 'what happens on the field stays on the field'. My boy took a punch to the head after he nailed this kid in a bone jarring tackle. It was in full view of the ref and he dealt with it swiftly with a penalty.

On the coaches side of the field, we dealt with professionally too (we all sit together) but the parents in the grandstand went nuts. A fight nearly broke out. The kids shrugged it off and played on, shaking hands at the end. All forgotten.

It's a lot different to your situation I know but the point is, the parents seem to make a much bigger deal out of it than the kids.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Hey...I feel bad about hijacking it in the first place!

I am definitely not one of those ugly parents, I only ever get involved when it is a safety issue. A punch would not have made me go see the ref, but potential for head injuries and spinals will.

Not sure how yet, but I am hoping to help find a solution rather than just be a complaining biatch. Not scared of rolling my sleeves up and putting in. Already doing 20+ hrs a week voluntary for junior rugby, then there is PB .... He does even more.

Its not about ref bashing. It needs to be about education to ensure no kid goes home in a wheelchair.

Rainy day here in Perth today - and I think the rest of my Cardio Class decided to use that excuse too Muika and Orange!

There were only TWO of us.

You can tell who the hardcore endorphin junkies are.

Cardio was kick boxing today - which I was happy about - twice in a week biggrin

However being such a 1 on 1 environment we were pushed hard and I have taken the skin off my knuckles again. They rub on the gloves when I am punching hard repeatedly (pyramid sets from 5 up to 30 and back down to 5 with 5 squats in between). I think I will need to tape my knuckles in future coz it takes about a week to heal.

So who's running (or otherwise engaged in a workout) today?

Originally Posted By: TheOrange
And today too!
What a shame.
Choice is yours Mr Orange...
You can either put on a raincoat/jumper/warm &dry layer and get out there - or you can put on a layer of fat to keep you cosy... whats it gonna be young fella?!
Originally Posted By: TheOrange
Hmmmmm. For today, the latter.
It's seriously not the end of the world.
You seem to take this all very seriously - perhaps a bit too?
wink
LOL Nah...not really.
Just something I gotta do. Move it or lose it.
Just trying to motivate you to get out there wink