Well, I now have about 6-7kg I want to get off before summer so I have a target to aim for and last night went out for my first jog of the year.

It was bad. Was a bit shocked at how far I could go before stopping. I'm not going to say, but let's just say it was in m rather than km!

Wish me luck.

Gambaru!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck!

Maybe set yourself a target? Many many towns in Japan host races. The most famous ones sell out in hours, but I bet local ones around Hiroshima don't. Lots of people get drawn towards marathons, but I suspect that 10km (or a faster 10k) is a much more suitable goal for many people. The Japanese websites Runnet and Sports Entry can be searched for what's on where.

If you like gadgets, there are loads of great running ones. If you run with music, Nike plus is a good and cheap one. Seeing things written down is a good motivation to do more, and electronics take the hassle out of keeping records.

I use Nike+ and find it to be a great motivational tool. It's really nice to be able to record everything and see exactly what you did on your jog. Anyway, everyone has their own way of doing things... I could only really get my routine going properly once I got Nike+ working for me wink

I feel your pain and embarrassment.

I worked myself (a complete non runner) up to a Fun Run a few weeks ago.

It was 5km and I ran the first 2km without any walking, then had to put in a bit of walking here and there for the remaining 3km. I was SLOW.

And then I ended up with shin splints and had to totally pull back on the running for the last few weeks - which means pretty much starting from scratch again. ARGH!

I have a 4.5km run coming up in less than 2 weeks and I just HAVE to set myself the target of at least making it 2km before walking a bit again. Not a natural born runner the Mamabear...not in the least.

Lots of Luck!

I'm not as unfit as I thought I was then! smile Although I haven't been jogging for ages, I had worked myself up to 10km runs without walking, I don't think I could do that now but I reckon a 5km wouldn't be out of the question. I need to do it as I feel a bit Tubbier than usual, I've been doing Tabata Training protocol 2-3 times a week doing dumbell squat and presses.....that separates the wheat from the chaff! smile 20secs on (doing as many squat and presses as possible without losing form) and 10 secs rest, thats 1 set. Repeat 8 times. Its only about 4 mins of a workout but I make all sorts of involuntary noises and my legs are jelly by the end of it! Apparently one of the best fat burning workouts, it was developed by a Japanese Doctor working with the Olympic sprint team. You can use any full body exercise like sprinting, squats, burpees, press ups, pull ups, cross trainers etc and you can use weights. If you try with weights, don't use heavy weights, you'll never be able to complete the session and you may do yourself damage with bad form. If this is a worry then don't use weights and only use bodyweight.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I had worked myself up to 10km runs without walking, I don't think I could do that now but I reckon a 5km wouldn't be out of the question.

Don't worry about the walking bit --- walking is good for you!!

TheOrange, I don't know Hiroshima well but if it is hilly or woodsy terrain nearby I would take up mountain biking. I bike all the time and it goes so much faster and is much more efficient than running. Also much easier on the joints overtime! It costs a good amount for a good bike but well worth it! Then if you really get into it start doing some downhill and dirt jumping smile.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
TheOrange, I don't know Hiroshima well but if it is hilly or woodsy terrain nearby I would take up mountain biking. I bike all the time and it goes so much faster and is much more efficient than running. Also much easier on the joints overtime! It costs a good amount for a good bike but well worth it! Then if you really get into it start doing some downhill and dirt jumping smile.

Agree on the bike.
Much less impact.

I am mixing it up.
In the last week:
Wed: Weight Session
Thurs: Nothing - cooking for the masses
Fri: Kick Boxing
Sat: Nada - watching Rugby all day
Sun: 22km Bike (few hills, few good flat stretches)
Mon: 40min run/interval session
Tues: 22km Bike - same path as Sunday
Wed: Weights session

I like the bike and kick boxing the best. The rest I endure.
But I have a nice bike biggrin
prod_4290.jpg

I am the opposite Mantas, beach running hurts too much smile

I have run on and off over my life and hate it... finishing however is very rewarding smile Try and run at least a couple of times a week - 5km and occasionally do a 10k at an amble. I always try and do hills and/or fartlek (intervals). Best work out to time ratio.

Problem with running is it is just so boring. And unless you drive out to a new start place, the course gets real boring too. Music doesn't seem to help much either.

mmm... Lard and Pies and no jogging.

I can see the results already...

big_mommas_house_2.jpg

Lazy day for me.

Blasted shin splints.

Anyone get out for a jog?

Kick boxing tomorrow biggrin I LOVE kick boxing.

Will have to tape up my knuckles this week because they have only just healed from last weeks session - rubbed off the skin on three of them within the gloves.