I often wonder if its because we are European/Brits and we go abroad from a young age (I first went on a lads holiday to Spain when I was 16) and gain experience that way. That said, even when I was 16 and on that first trip to Spain, we didn't go into any bars that looked well dodgy. An African standing outside trying to get us in would be a definite red flag, it was bad enough trying to wade through them and not buy one of their dodgy watches!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

I often wonder if its because we are European/Brits and we go abroad from a young age (I first went on a lads holiday to Spain when I was 16) and gain experience that way. That said, even when I was 16 and on that first trip to Spain, we didn't go into any bars that looked well dodgy. An African standing outside trying to get us in would be a definite red flag, it was bad enough trying to wade through them and not buy one of their dodgy watches!!

lol real fakes...made your wrist green after 24hrs.

Have to agree TB, trips the Canary Isles at a young age taught me a lot. Fun at the time...but looking back it was (and probably still is) a proper shiite hole....and pretty dodgy. Although some good surf spots!

That US travel warning has been out for a couple of years.

I was in Tokyo last week and noticed that the Nigerian touts seem to be spreading (in Ueno & Shibuya).

I go out in Kabukicho all the time and have never had any problems, but I could certainly see people getting into trouble.

Kabukicho and Roppongi are not really that open when it comes to drinking. Basically you have to physically go inside a place to see what it is like, which I think is quite intimidating for a lot of people. This is why when some random person on the street comes up to you and invites you into an establishment you tend to follow.

I do think you have to be pretty unlucky to get your drink spiked.

Anyway, to avoid "drink spiking" I strongly suggest heading to Shibuya instead. Shibuya has very few touts and a lot of "standing bars" that you can walk straight into from the street; they just have some good bars in general. It also has some pretty cool clubs (though they are expensive). Shibuya is just a very cool place and it does feel safer than Kabukicho, maybe it is because it has Freshness Burger.

Originally Posted By: beowulf
This is why when some random person on the street comes up to you and invites you into an establishment you tend to follow.

I don't!

Kevkastle - as reported in media, here's one:

"... rub shoulders with sex industry scouts and Nigerian touts who steer inebriated men into bars with promises of encounters with foreign women."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/19/kabukicho-tokyo-cleanup

Elsewhere there are also references to Gahnian as well.

As to why, must be the preference of the "business owners", who are responsible for this problem.