Shiga Kogen - tips for the 1st time pow tart?

Just saw the forecast for Shiga Kogen and am going to head there Sunday afternoon after another 24hrs in Kyoto as am all templed out smile

Any hints for better runs, areas to stay in as it's Stinky and my 1st time there. Any SJFers there next week?

Also does anyone have a link for the current Nagano/Shiga bus timetable, the one I found states it changes mid Feb.

Stoked, more snow when I expected none!

Stinky strikes again!

What's your budget? Dozens of choices.

Yakebitai is best for longer runs. Terakoya & Shibu-toge normally have good powder, tho no steeps. Oku-Shiga is good for skiers, but doesn't allow boarding, same with (smaller) Kumanoyu.

Pete Ichinose family area is agreat place to be based.You can get to almost all the area's from there on your board.We will go back there next year for sure.Have a top time thumbsup

i wrote this on another forum on my first (and only impressions of two days riding it with one bluebird and one complete whiteout (so the second day was a bit of a wash). Itll give you some ideas of lines you might want to hit smile I gave them each a difficulty level based on beginner slackcountry to expert (mainly because you might find yourself lost).

If youre pressed for time just chill about yakebi and terakoya. Spent all my afternoon on terakoya riding the olympic course a couple of times (whiteout makes the olympic course very dodgy), and the giant course. Ill post way more of a proper info about the place later, but heres some fun powder stashes ive found:

1. yakebi: (advanced) under gondola 2 (prince hotel gondola). Aside a few places where youll have to climb, you can ride it pretty much all the way to the bottom. Lots of little powder stashes along the way.

2. Yakebi: (intermediate) next to the olympic course (skiers left) is a roped off area with a nice little powder ride bringing you under gondola 1. When you get under it though it gets pretty tracked and choppy.

3. yakebi: (expert) this ones hard to describe. Theres a green run at the top of the prince gondola, ride that a bit until you get to circle red 8 (itll make sense when you get here). Drop into the trees here and you have a really long ridge line that brings you out at red triangle 3. Dont stray too far down like i did smile

4. terakoya (beginner): This is the best quality powder in the whole area to my mind. Pop off the top lift, head skiers right into the trees and you have perma shaded light fluffy beautiful pow to play with. Its niseko quality and aside a few spots in yoketeyama, theres no better snow in the whole resort.

In fact, terakoya is really a small little pow area. The other sides are slow and sticky, but theres some fun runs around here, so make sure you make the effort to get up there. It also has an outstanding view from the top.

5. Ichinose to tannenomori: (beginner) basically just find a line that cuts through the trees, there you will come out on a nice open line of pow that looks like a lift run, but theres no lift. Then when youre done, start edging under the pair lift on the way to tannenomori. You can cut back and forward either way here which makes it a nice link-up.

Tannenomori is also a nice little area. Theres not much here, but its really chilled and groovy. I wouldnt hang about, but its just one of those pleasant places for a cute and peaceful ride.

6. Giant: (beginner): The powder stash happens half way down on skiers left under the lifts. Once you pass the middle get off part of the baby yellow lift (youll see it), head skiers left, duck the rope, and you have a massive pow stash. I spent all afternoon playing on it today and couldnt honestly stop. smile You can also do the run under the lift from the very top (intermediate), but its a bit more difficult given that you have a couple of tricky lines and also have to avoid accidentally ending up on the wrong side of the road. Yes, theres a road.

7. Shibutoge area: (beginner) Lots of little tree runs. Also, from what i could see it was quite beautiful with zao like snow monsters. Alas the whiteout meant i didnt spend as much time here as i would have liked. I could baely see two or three feet in front of my face.

8. Yokote: (intermediate) all the best runs are skier only. But who needs them anyway. Pop out under the middle lift and youll have the only other place where the powder was seriously light and soft (in parts) to glide on it. If youre up for some mischief its definitely a fun (if albeit a little brief) line to play on.

So thats what i discovered in days 1 and 2, ive still 1 more morning, but ill probably just stick to yakebi and see what else is around there. For my money its got the most interesting lines, and if you were really good, theres some serious looking lines coming off the backside of okushigakogen (skier only area as well).

Theres lots of different places as well you can practice your tree riding. The more advances stuff is around yakebi, but up the top of the other two mountains its pretty mellow and fun. Also dont forget the olympic course and a somewhat under appreciated nishidetayama. It has some surprisingly fast lines (once you get past the mogul field).

ETA failed to get out on the third day because i decided to meet some friends in nagoya instead smile

Yeah its a really big but pleasant hotel with Japanese style rooms. Im digging it. I'll get some pics later. No new snow last night but LOTS of base by the look of it. Was suppose to snow last night and may have up top, will provide a better report later when Stinky wakes up and we hit it smile

NO vis today, been out 2x today for one run each time and couldn't see 20m in front of me, yesterday's wet snow had turned kinda icy last night so came back and jumped into my book, pizza and a red wine. Love ski in/ski out so you can just do that. BUT its snowing now, in fact kinda dumping so hopefully tomorrow will be good as have to leave Thurs afternoon.