Almost everyone has 4wd all wheel drive or studded tires. It's almost necessary as the roads are almost always snow covered. As of late it has been a bit warm and the roads are dry as a result smile.

Personally I would be much more concerned with the millions of people who decide to walk in the middle of the roads in hirafu in lines 5 people wide. Seems like a lot of people forget to pack their common sense when it comes to holiday lol

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Saw a LOT of 2WD cars when I was there last week. But most had snow tyres on them.

Actually Pete I think you might be surprised at how very, very few of the cars you saw were 2WD. Most cars sold in Hokkaido are AWD. I don't know anyone up here who has a 2WD (at least not ones they drive in winter). That includes even the smallest K-cars. About the only cars here that are not AWD are the taxis. Obviously there are quite a few 2WD cars up here but they are mostly only used in the snow free months. Also it would not have been most cars had snow tyres. No one drives in Hokkaido in winter without snow tyres. At least none that I have ever seen in all the years I've been here.

Out of interest, in the snow towns around the place, how often are the roads all snowed up? I get the impression that like in places like Niigata, it's just after a dump but it quickly dried up off the roads...

I haven't seen the bitchumen on the road out front of my place since December. The main roads that get more traffic and are cleared more frequently will be clear of snow if it gets sunny (too much of that this year) but many of the back roads remain snow covered for much of the entire winter (during normal winters). Main roads up here were covered for pretty much the whole of January.

Back home in December when the UK had all that snow.

It was really really cold.

And the snow/ice in my parents road was there for 2 weeks after the last snowfall. Stayed for ages.

That's Wigan. Not Niseko.