Where you planning on going to the Snowball??

• SnowJapan Admin

Sorry about that, really.

We are getting the next one planned really really early - and probably for right in the middle of the season.

There was a lot of interest in it. A lot of people DID want to go to this one, but it was just a case that many people just couldn't come due to timing, other plans etc.

Thanks

• SnowJapan Admin

Er, ripoff, zwelgen? I don't think you have it right there. If you do feel that to be the case please mail us at editor@snowjapan.com and let us know why you think so.

There certainly wasn't much of a margin being made on anything here. Not that any of us knew of anyway.

The idea was just for everyone to get together and have some fun.

i was planning to go to a snowball competition in Hida this year, but those plans fell thru....maybe we can send an SJ team next year.

snowball events - of any kind -may be fickle affairs.

catch one if u can.

I dont mean to irritate anyone but the few Tokyoites that I talked to said that the Tabibito deal wasnt very good and it would be much cheaper to get the shink and book accom by yourself.

Im all for gettting together and having fun, I had signed up for the weekend, Im just saying that maybe thats why not so many people had signed up, they were just making their own reservations etc.

Of course I have no idea, just my humble thoughts on the matter.

I wouldn't have gone because getting from Suwa to Yuzawa is very time-consuming, and I'm not entirely keen on drinking myself stupid and then trying to snowboard.

Although I might think about it next time. I still want to meet some SJ people so they can see that I don't have six arms as has been rumoured.

If anyone wants to go to Naeba at that time, Japanese website Snowboardnet has a thing on the same week.

http://snowboardnet.jp/style/event/yukiyamasanka.html

No transport, but a night (Friday which is cheaper) in the Prince there, two meals and two days tix for 14,000. It sounds like a good deal to me, if not as much fun as the Snowball. The page says "March 4" deadline, but you may still be okay coz they've got a tsuika boshuu message with that date on the main page.

If anyone goes and meets Rio Tahara, ask him if it's true that he lost 3cm in the height of his body from landing jumps. He said so once apparently.

What is the reasoning for cancelling it if it isn't economic then?

And please don't tell me to email you directly. I think it is perfectly fair to ask questions of the Snow Japan staff directly ON THE FORUM. I want other people to read my questions so that they can comment on them too.

If you are going to say that it wasn't planned well enough, then fine - but it just doesn't add up to me. So you guys plan a Snow Japan "get together." You contact a travel group to set up a package. People maybe don't want to do the package, but they still plan to go to Naeba (myself and at least 4 other forum members I know). So you guys know people are coming - yet you still decide to cancel it. Even if 10 people show up - at least you had the party. At least the people that did come got to have fun. Now everyone is cancelling their reservations and planning something different.

It would have been perfectly possible to just cancel the activities - or at least the prizes. Everyone would still go out drinking together - would still meet and rip some lines. But by cancelling it makes it sound like we shouldn't even bother.

The winds of change are blowing across snowjapan.

Hi enderzero,

Quote:
please don't tell me to email you directly. I think it is perfectly fair to ask questions of the Snow Japan staff directly ON THE FORUM. I want other people to read my questions so that they can comment on them too.
OK, in this case enderzero, we'll reply to you - ON THE FORUM.

Quote:
What is the reasoning for cancelling it if it isn't economic then?
Our intention was to create a party where people could get together and meet up and have fun. In order to organise all of the details for the numbers we were anticipating, we needed to know there was interest. So we created the online form, and clearly asked people to fill out the form to show intention of attending the event. 6 people initially indicated an interest, using that form that we provided online. Only 2 of those people further responded to a mailing concerning more details of the Snowball.

So as far as we knew, there were literally only a handful of people seriously interested in going to the party/event.

Quote:
If you are going to say that it wasn't planned well enough, then fine - but it just doesn't add up to me. So you guys plan a Snow Japan "get together." You contact a travel group to set up a package. People maybe don't want to do the package, but they still plan to go to Naeba (myself and at least 4 other forum members I know). So you guys know people are coming - yet you still decide to cancel it.
No, we did/do not know that people are coming. In the info we published we clearly asked for anyone interested in joining in a) the party B) the races or c) the accommodation to let us know by using the online form that we provided. We asked that even if you are just planning to come to the party, to let us know using that form. So from the response we got, we had no indication that there would be more than a few people turning up.

Can we ask, did you and your 4 other friends fill in the form to show us your interest in the party?

Due to a number of reasons, the putting together of the event was later than we initially hoped - it could have been announced earlier, and that certainly will be the case next time.

Quote:
Even if 10 people show up - at least you had the party. At least the people that did come got to have fun. Now everyone is cancelling their reservations and planning something different.
Again, from the response to our online form, it seems/seemed to us that there would be very few people attending. Who are cancelling reservations? Did they let us know that they would be attending?

Quote:
It would have been perfectly possible to just cancel the activities - or at least the prizes. Everyone would still go out drinking together - would still meet and rip some lines.
People still can go out drinking together - as noted in the post this morning. Snodeck is still there and a good place to get together, eat and drink.

Quote:
But by cancelling it makes it sound like we shouldn't even bother
As explained above, the official event was cancelled as there were very few initial responses, and even fewer responding to our initial mailing with further details. It seemed to us that, for any number of reasons (timing, location), people weren't interested.

Quote:
The winds of change are blowing across snowjapan.
Not too sure about that one confused.gif

Thanks

I greatly appreciate the response Admin#3. Very reasonable and well said.

I, personally, did sign up as interested. I cannot speak for my friends. Maybe they can comment as well.

I think it is possible people didn't know the party was in jeopardy if they didn't sign up and just planned to come up on their own. Would it have been possible to say, "we are thinking of cancelling the party due to lack of interest. Please let us know if you are interested or cancellation may be necessary."?

Is this said and done or if there is a cry out will it still go on. I realize Naeba isn't the absolute best place for snowboarding, especially that weekend, but I was really looking forward to meeting new people and trying out somewhere new. Who knows if I will be here next year.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

• SnowJapan Admin

You're welcome enderzero. We appreciate your understanding.

Just to make this clear - we did clearly ask people on the form to show their intent to go to the party...otherwise we have no idea of if anyone or 6000 people will turn up.

Quote:
Would it have been possible to say, "we are thinking of cancelling the party due to lack of interest. Please let us know if you are interested or cancellation may be necessary."?
Well, we did send out a newsletter (to over 5000 people) that highlighted the party and encouraged people to join in. Also highlighted the thread on the Forums etc, so we did all we could to try to increase interest. Also, we were always aware of the time factor. We wanted to make a decision as quickly as possible, because - believe it or not - we care about people on here, and for those few people that were thinking of coming, we needed to let them know asap in case they were finalising any plans.

Enderzero, WE were also looking forward to it too. We just decided that instead of chancing bringing a couple of people all the way to Naeba, and having a not-too-exciting time, it would be best to cancel and plan a much better time next year.

Apart from having to cancel hotel reservations etc, and cancel a DJ etc and say sorry to a few other people involved, money had almost nothing to do with it.

As for a cry out - well apart from you and a couple of other people, we haven't heard that yet. But like we said, Snodeck is always there.....

Many thanks

More of enderzeros comments from tonight are here, related thread:

http://www.skijapanguide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000867

--------------------

barok - ok, I have edited the above after reading your post (below) - I agree with you my original post was perhaps not suitable. But does it not seem that someone else is causing up a big fuss??? enderzeros comments are just way out of line.