WHAOA ! That has got me all ill that vid... I think I already recounted an adventure I had in Canada similar to that on SJF. Gotta have a buddy and a plan.

That guy was so close to death, he is coughing up blood... not good...

I may be outaline here in suggesting this, but I feel that it is always better if you ride with someone. Even the best riders can do a knee or meet a tree in the back country, and having a buddy there to help out and contact and direct ski patrol is always a bonus.

Originally Posted By: Nisoko
Is there any way to "unwatch" that?!

** enough alcohol to erase a few days either side?
** a rather hefty whack to the head (take your helmet off when you are riding tree's on an icy day-might work)
** hypnotherapy
** lots of drugs....

you could just be like me, watch it and think "wow! if that happens to me im probably screwed, so i should be careful and stop ducking ropes!"

And then two days later:

"POW!!! Wheee!" <ipps ducks rope and rides pow>

Just go look at some untracked pow skulking behind a flimsy dangling piece of rope for a bit and youll probably forget all about it and dive in like the idiots most of us are smile

Originally Posted By: Valve Bounce
I may be outaline here in suggesting this, but I feel that it is always better if you ride with someone. Even the best riders can do a knee or meet a tree in the back country, and having a buddy there to help out and contact and direct ski patrol is always a bonus.
Outaline? Right on the money I think cheers
Originally Posted By: Nisoko
Is there any way to "unwatch" that?!

lol nope but very educational!

Some things I learnt was the at first casual attitude wasted a little time, precious time, though it turned out good. Changed pretty quick when the videographer also fell into that hole and seemed to get a better appreciation of it.

No shovels, maybe using the boards to move more snow faster? Better a bump and cut than no O2?

Needed a bit more urgency digging for his oxygen intake valves it appeared smile

I´m scared of getting buried.

In that scenario, you know that you have mates around, but I bet the guy got worried " did they see me get buried? do they know where I am?"

Must have felt a long time for him, too.

Actually took them a while to get him out and he is like upside-down.

15 min time limit to dig someone out in a avi. Doesn´t give you much time to search, does it. If there are multiple people buried, it a matter of luck you get chosen to get dug out (?)

Personally I think powder boarding situations like this is like Scuba Diving. Buddy system.

Some people like solo mountain climbing and they have the experience and training. I don´t know the mountain well and not that good in powder. I feel good that I have my missus around but often we lose each other. One thing this vid teaches me is that "if we lose each other, we meet at ..." is not good. We have to keep a visual on each other.

you also have to realise that someone is usually at the back.

Being the Mamabear I was always following up the rear and waiting to make sure i was behind the smallest child in hairy situations - what that meant was that when I went down there was no one to help me out. But as he was not far in front of me I was also worried that the little one went under. Can tell you my panic level dropped when I dug out and saw him walking out - he had clearly gone down as well, but managed to get out. But it took me half an hour to dig out. Made me realise that inbounds or not, that stretch was not for us than day - the midget is only just in double figures, and I have a responsibility to be there to raise him. If he had been as buried as I was I am not sure he would have got out on his own. He would have panicked. I am glad it was me, not him.

Great video post! I say great, meaning the guy 'made it' and it raises the awareness level.

It's all too easy to get complacent when 'fun' takes over 'common sense'

I think it's natural for people to get that 'high' from sking/riding on the edge, living with a bit of danger - but it's being scared from time to time that keeps us safe.

Here's one from the buried person's perspective. Watch in it's entirety with volume. The time spent under snow is a painfull eternity.

I think the message on all this is pretty clear - watch your buddy's back, and make sure he watches yours.