Hey guys.

Could anyone recommend a few places to get decent snowboard gear around Tokyo? I actually live near Choshi so I could probably hit up a shop in Chiba if anyone has any recommendations for that area.

Mainly looking for boots & bindings. I'll probably get the deck online since it looks to be cheaper to import from North America

"The ski/snowboard(sports store) area is located between Ogawamachi and Jimbocho subway stations in the Kanda district of Tokyo (about 10min walk west of Akihabara), along Yasakuni Dori(Yasakuni Street) and the small streets just off it. There are a few exits at Ogawamachi subway station, but the best exits are onto Yasakuni Dori exit B5 or B7."

Originally Posted By: blu
"The ski/snowboard(sports store) area is located between Ogawamachi and Jimbocho subway stations in the Kanda district of Tokyo (about 10min walk west of Akihabara), along Yasakuni Dori(Yasakuni Street) and the small streets just off it. There are a few exits at Ogawamachi subway station, but the best exits are onto Yasakuni Dori exit B5 or B7."

in the Ochanomizu/Kanda area. rolleyes If you are taking JR, Ochanomizu is the easiest to get off and find the shops IMO

Was a pain getting bindings for fat skis down there yesterday - nowhere had bindings with wide enough brakes, and if they did, the guage they put on the ski to drill the holes in the right spot wasnt big enough! Managed to get some Marker Squires in the end, but really had to force the guage onto the skis! Stock brakes not wide enough, had to use leash cords today and will buy wide brakes later.

Originally Posted By: shadowtec
Well that's handy to know I be in that area on Wednesday so I pick up some stuff I need from there (save getting ripped at the Sydney stores)

Thanks

Agreed. I think Australia has to be the most expensive place I've been to to get ski/board equipment. And a beer for that matter, bloody good beer though!

Thanks for all the info. I'm getting pretty excited about my next Tokyo visit in a couple of weeks.

I'm definitely going to pickup new boots & bindings from Tokyo so I can find something to fit my wide ass feet. My board, however, will probably get sent over from the states, since they look to be significantly cheaper than Japan.

Has anyone ever imported snow gear? Did you get hit up for customs/taxes? My friend had a laptop sent over & she had to pay one or two man. On the other hand I got a few hard drives sent from the States and it was fine.

Originally Posted By: onji
Has anyone ever imported snow gear? Did you get hit up for customs/taxes? My friend had a laptop sent over & she had to pay one or two man. On the other hand I got a few hard drives sent from the States and it was fine.

Cant comment for importing into Japan, but I brought about $2000 AUD of kit from the US. As long as the goods in each package was less than $1000 AUD you escape any duties. Used some consolidating/forwarding companies with varying success as some US distributors do not ship outside US. There have been discussions on these forums previously, worth using the search option.
Originally Posted By: Schneebored
bloody good beer though!

You what??...90% is piss!!... if it wasn't for James Squires and Matilda Bay beers and some very tasty wines I would have gone mental by now!

Hey man I completely agree 90% is piss. But some of the microbreweries make top tip top tipple. Knappstein Reserve Lager from SA, Billabong Nelson Sauvin from WA, Gage Roads Wahoo from WA, Little Creatures Bright Ale from WA, Feral Farm House Ale from WA, Billabong Kolsch from WA, Red Angus Pilsner from NSW.

Most of the list is from WA as I'm from Perth and we don't get as much from the East Coast. Then again this is my 100% partial and biased opinion. Then again I should probably stop talking about beer since it's 11:15 Monday morning and I'm at work, cheers!
Originally Posted By: Schneebored

Cant comment for importing into Japan, but I brought about $2000 AUD of kit from the US. As long as the goods in each package was less than $1000 AUD you escape any duties. Used some consolidating/forwarding companies with varying success as some US distributors do not ship outside US. There have been discussions on these forums previously, worth using the search option.

So it might be a good idea to split my order into 2 separate orders. I'll check out the requirements for Japan before I place an order, but thanks Schneebored. I'll try and poke around the forums to see what the others reckon.

Agreed. I think Australia has to be the most expensive place I've been to to get ski/board equipment.

Electronic parts is more fun

An FPGA dev board from the manufacturer $150 + $10 postage in 3 days. from a local supplier $360 +$50 postage in 6 weeks..

It's part of my weekly hobby to abuse staff at local electronic shops

What are the safety issues when using leashes which connect boot to ski? I heard its a no-no in avi territory as you need your skis to release. Losing ski in snow is a real pain - Ive spent ages searching in the past - I'd hate to lose one of my new 60,000 yen skis! I made some powder ribbons once, but they can be a bit of a PITA to use.

I think in conditions like yesterday with my new skis, I'd prefer to use either a leash or ribbons as there is a genuine risk of losing a ski for good.

I'd also like some brakes - anybody know if a 110 mm Marker royal family brake would stretch to a ski measuring 117 mm? Next one up is the 130 which is more expensive and might be a bit too big!