Old saying,

People who have expectation are preparing themselves to be disappointed ... wink

It´s all about being at the right place at the right time.

If your holiday is just a week or two here or there ... may not snow for that period anywhere.

I´m in Europe and most of my days are powder. Hakuba is cool but can´t compare to .... (put any resort name)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colorado is in the rockies and not so far from Utah right, just seen that the forecast is looking quite favourable. Maybe I should go there in the next few days? need to sus the accommodation and transport situation there though, still thinking if I should go Japan from there? might just leave it open and see how the weather is faring..

Got no record, for the record. I do like guns though, clay shooting!!

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
mmmm...
but if you are living where Glenshee is right at your door ...
You might get magic days wink

If by magic you mean ice and wind....there is plenty of magic. Thank god the little fences stop the snow blowing away.

Forecast is looking tops for Niseko and Colorado!! Hakuba don't look so good to me in the next few days, getting snow now but looks like the warm weather is going to put a dampener on things in the coming days.. Thats unfortunate!!

Im not sure if Aspen is any good but the forecast there looks great! temps staying nice and cold, lots of snow on the way and falling now with very light winds. maybe Colorado might win this time? I really love Japan and the snow there, it's gonna be a hard decision but will make it by tomorrow and book in, I can always go Japan next year if I dont this year and I'll be hitting the usual in NZ this year when the time comes. I Really duno if I'll ever bother driving down Perisher again.. to much hassle for not a lot.

any last words or tips tonight on this topic much appreciated!!

If you are a board rider, then Jackson Hole is supposed to be the ultimate as it has some of the most challenging terrain in North America. So you have to decide whether you are Gung Ho or a Wuss.

Me, at my age, Gung Ho is long gone and has been replaced by Wuss. sadface

........especially with my dicky ticker wink

Yes I board, I go Heli boarding in NZ, not that that means much but I like to get into it is what I'm saying. I'm definitely not full hetic pro, not even what I would say is advanced, just intermediate. Like the tree runs off piste, love the intermediate runs and I'll go most blacks but that varies where you go too as some black runs would be intermediate at best and others are a bit how ya going. I've have had a go at park but not the big stuff and no pipe, I had a bad motorbike accident a few years ago broke both my legs but thats not the bad bit, I've stuffed my knee with no PCL, a stretched ACL and a torn MCL, now my knee has heaps of movement and I have to ride to my ability.

End of the day I want powder just like everyone else, so I'm looking for the white n fluffy, I don't want to roll around in it I want to ride it through trees and bowls.

Originally Posted By: VeryNice
Yes I board, I go Heli boarding in NZ, not that that means much but I like to get into it is what I'm saying. I'm definitely not full hetic pro, not even what I would say is advanced, just intermediate. Like the tree runs off piste, love the intermediate runs and I'll go most blacks but that varies where you go too as some black runs would be intermediate at best and others are a bit how ya going. I've have had a go at park but not the big stuff and no pipe, I had a bad motorbike accident a few years ago broke both my legs but thats not the bad bit, I've stuffed my knee with no PCL, a stretched ACL and a torn MCL, now my knee has heaps of movement and I have to ride to my ability.

End of the day I want powder just like everyone else, so I'm looking for the white n fluffy, I don't want to roll around in it I want to ride it through trees and bowls.

Then go to Niseko. I hear it's great, and I'll be there last day of Feb wink

sorry bout that, I don't have any other file sharing options unless I sign up for a new account with flicker or something like that, which I particularly don't wish to. :( Would be cool if you can just attach images directly.. I'm sure if anyones interested that they could see the 9 day forecasts for both and see my dilemma.

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi..... you actually linked to some kind of files that tried to open in a popup that didn't lead anywhere, so apart from looking suspicious it didn't work anyway.

If you want to upload images here, you can do so:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/389415/GUIDE_Uploading_photos_to_Snow.html

If you don't want to do that, then, sorry.

Thanks.

Well I know it would be bias in a US forum too but I'm not asking people which is better, they're both great. This is a more specific question to the few people that would have experienced both. Even more specific to the current weather and terrain and experiences on offer. I don't want people to choose for me, I normally make these types of decisions with out having to seek some random opinions off a forum but Im stuck with this one n would just appreciate the little insight I get through this avenue. Appreciate all response so far!

Ok, could not find accommodation in Hakuba this weekend, all except for one or two I could not read 'Japanese' on the list on this website and with the exception of 'backpackers' which I didn't bother with were all booked for either one of, or all three days of the coming fri-sat-sun. Am looking at going in 2 weeks or so from now when there is availability.

Right now though, looking at catching the action in Colorado this weekend for 7 days.

flight from Syd return $1430 4/2/11 - 12/2/11

accommodation approx $500 (Alpine Inn Frisco)

car hire + GPS + insurance $ 600

lift ticket $400 - $500

Anybody over there heading out this sun/mon etc let me know.

• SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: VeryNice
Ok, could not find accommodation in Hakuba this weekend, all except for one or two I could not read 'Japanese' on the list on this website

VeryNice, I'm confused with that comment - what exactly do you mean?

The list is in English and all of them will/should communicate with you in English.

There's a form on each page and what you send in that form gets sent to the accommodations directly.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/nagano-hakuba-accommodation.php

confused

There were about two of them which had part english, you click on the english button for the site to navigate in english then click on availability and it was in Japanese. Some sites were quite poor and other were better. Some sites didn't even have availability only reservation requests. I check the hotel Availability for those through 3rd party sites and regardless there was no availability straight through in one place for this weekend. As mentioned either one or all dates booked for the coming weekend, I would have to jump from one hotel to a backpackers, then back to a hotel. Too much hassle for me. Better I leave it till there is availability and hopefully fresh dump of powder.

• SnowJapan Admin

The list I linked to above is 100% in English.

You can contact places there, on those pages, on this site, in English.

I would guess that most of them reply extremely quickly, in English.

That seems fairly simply to me.

If you go to their websites, then of course we have no control over what you see there. But like I said above, it's really simply to contact places using that form. And they will get back to you. In English.