Difficult to define local, I suppose what I am meaning is the smaller resorts that don't seem to get talked about so much. Lots of us probably live near lots of these small places.

I live about 30 mins south of Niigata City, and so the resorts I have been able to get to most are:

Tainai (near Shibata - quite good actually);

Mikawa (small resort that some of my friends live near fairly near the Fukushima border)

Both aren't worth journeys to get to, but are decent for those of us living nearby.

Any like that near you?

Not near me as such, but I am in the area a few times - Minakami and some of the resorts round there, Norn, Kawaba, etc..

hmmm..."local"...for me that would be Okunakayama up here in Iwate-ken but the best "local" resort that I've been to is Hachimantai Forrest. Its fairly famous but since it has only 3 lifts and you have to walk up to the next one, has meager eating facilities and no "lodge", I think it qualifies as "local". If I lived an hour closer to it, it would definetly by local.

If you mean "local" = Small

1. Chisenupuri -Hokkaido

2. Waise - Hokkaido

3. Mikuni - Gunnma

4. Kayama Captain Coast(dump day only)- Niigata

If you mean "local"=near your home

1. Used to be Saws

Just going back to a post above - Madarao/Tangram is a decent place, we went there earlier in the season. Fab views on a clear day of Myoko.