Hi guys! I'm thinking about staying for a couple of days at Tomamu but don't really want to stay at the Alpha Resort twin towers!! Has anyone stayed in Tomamu town itself or anywhere else nearby? I'll be car-less so will be relying on trains and buses! Cheers! friend

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I've just been to Tomamu for the day so here are my thoughts and a few piccies. I should say that the only other Hokkaido resorts I've been to and can therefore compare it against are Furano (currently on my 2nd season) and Kamui (went there for the 2nd time a week ago). & apologies for the poor quality of my camera phone photos!

So, in a nutshell, I like it!! Even though there was no fresh snow and it was crusty off-piste and between the trees, it's a good resort and you can see it would be brilliant on a powder day. The trees are much better spaced than Furano (not difficult) and even Kamui plus the registration system they've got in place for off-piste riding means that you don't have to keep looking out for ski patrol evilgrin For those who don't know, you sign a disclaimer, get given a bib (and a helmet if you haven't got one) then away you go.

For park rats, there's a decent half-pipe and terrain park with plenty of rails and kickers to choose from.

Negative things:- it was a bit flat in places so boarders might need to skate a bit until you get to know the place and the main restaurant area was rammed, though it was a Sunday. Overall though, thumbsup

The Twin Towers - a surreal sight!

Mick%20Rich_28.JPG

An old lift in the "Powder Heaven" zone

Mick%20Rich_29.JPG

Looking down from skiers' right of the "Alpine Cabin" gondola station

Mick%20Rich_30.JPG

Looking back to the gondola station and the top of Lift no.8

Mick%20Rich_31.JPG

Minshuku alternative to the Twin Towers accommodation

Mick%20Rich_32.JPG

Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
How big is it?

I assume you're talking about Tomamu wink That being the case, it's bigger than Kamui and a similar-ish size to Furano but with a lot more (legitimately) skiable terrain biggrin
Originally Posted By: Saitaman
Is that a 3rd Tower I see in the center of this photo?

Yes and no! There's actually another 2 towers set back from the "lego" ones!! They're a little bit more camoflauged in so far as 2 large towers can be! smile

Yes, yes and yes! The back 2 are part of the Galleria Tower Suite Hotel which is the luxury option. The lego ones are part of The Tower Hotel which I guess is for the masses. smile

Here's another photo from Sunday with the Galleria towers in the foreground and the lego towers behind and to the right.

Mick%20Rich_33.JPG