Kyoto - Where is good to stay?

During our 2 week trip to Japan my partner and I are planning to stay in Kyoto for about 3 nights.

We want to stay somewhere central, is that what people would suggest? I was looking at the area of Gion. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated smile

The central area is the 'downtown' city area and I won't really recommend it. Definitely stay in the Gion area if you can as it's walking distance to loads of places. I stayed at a place called Ryokan Okuda which I found on Trip Advisor I think... it was quite cheap and very well located. The rooms weren't top quality but comfy and a bit old school Japanese style if you are into that. It was a very Japanesey experience though so I don't know how will it would work out for someone who can't speak the language. Anyway, enjoy Kyoto!

Depends on your budget. I usually stay at Gojo Guesthouse which is reasonably priced hostel in an old, traditional-style wooden building not too far from Kiyomizu-dera, one of the famous temples. Gion is about a 10 minute walk away through some equally interesting back streets and the local station gives you easy access to Nara. The only downsides are that it's a bit far from the main station and it's cold in winter! Have a great trip in any event!

Last time I was there, I just stayed in an inexpensive hotel near the JR train station (APA Hotel? something like that) for public transit convenience, but as others have indicated, if you are interested in the traditional Japanese inn (ryokan) experience, this would be a very good opportunity to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your tips guys! I ended up finding a hostel - K's House Kyoto. We're still in our 20's so don't mind hostels and meeting other people.

My next challenge is Tokyo. I want to stay in the Shinjuku area. Where would you recommend?

Thanks!

Shinjuku? Keio Plaza if someone else is paying! New City Hotel on the back side of the park is a good cheap business hotel. The Washington costs a little more for a newer, smaller room, but it is a bit closer to the train station.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Citadine in Shinjinku. Quite a few members have stayed there including me. Its kinda central. I booked on the net and it was reasonably priced.

Yeah I am booked in there for feb, on the recommendation of SJ members.