Just a quick report on last week's trip to Hakuba.

It was my first time on the slopes this season so of course I was super stoked. I usually start much earlier than this (around the middle of December) but a few factors were working against me making an early start to the season. Anyway, the forecast was looking good so I made a bit of a last minute decision to head up there for some turns and was really glad I did.

Jan. 4

I left Izu around 4:45am to get a jump on traffic. It was cold and dark and all I could think about was getting to snow country as it never snows where I live and I was missing winter a bit. The drive was uneventful but I kept the petal to the floor and made it just before 8am.

The sun was high in the sky and it looked to be the makings of a beautiful day. In fact, it was a blue bird day until late in the afternoon when a few clouds moved in sprinkling a little snow which made for a fantastic sunset.

The conditions were good for my first day out on the hill as I was looking to hit some fast groomers and get my legs working again. I also got to spend the day snowboarding with a few friends from Shizuoka which was a pleasant surprise! Even though I was dead tired I somehow made it until the end of the day before heading off to the hotspring. It was as good as any first day on the hill that I can remember!

Jan. 5

Thanks to a few friendly Aussies that I had met the night before I wasn't in any condition to hit the hills. Instead, I headed off to the onsen to try and work out some of the aches and pains from the day before. I wasn't really bothered as the forecast for that night was epic snow!!

That night I met up with Panhead Pete, Stemik, and TJ OZ at TJ's place for a few cans and a good chat. It was definitely nice to put a few faces to the names on this forum! By the time I stumbled home there was already +20cms on the ground!

Jan. 6

Score!!! Woke up to +80cms on the ground so made a mad dash to 47 where I spent much of the morning hitting waist deep pow run after waist deep pow run. At one point I launched myself off the edge of the cat track and ended up in chest deep powder that took 5 minutes to dig myself out of. I was really surprised at how empty the resort was until I realized that the run connecting 47 and Goryu was closed until around lunch time. As luck would have it the lift connecting the two opened just as my buddy and I reached the top of the hill. We bolted over to Goryu just in time to see everyone heading back over to 47... amazingly no one had skied down from the top of the Goryu yet!!!! So of course we made a bee line for the furthest left (skiers right) run and flew down the hill in thigh deep on-piste powder. It was all a matter of being in the right place and the right time and we scored big time! In fact, we were able to snag several runs down the groomers in untracked powder! Easily ranks as one of the best days I've ever had on the slope. For those who were there I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!!

Jan. 7

I had to go back to Shizuoka this day but decided to spend the morning over at 47 to make the most of the trip. There was 10cms or so of fresh snow so I toyed with the idea of staying the whole day but reason won out... anyway, I spent the day ducking in and out of some cheeky tree runs and basically spent the entire morning (until 1pm) cruising untracked pow.

The drive home was tiring and I didn't make as good time because of a little traffic but none of the mattered as my mind was already focusing on the next trip. So, for any of you up there next weekend (Jan 14 - 16) see you soon wink

A few pictures from Jan. 4th for your enjoyment.

black%20mountain_120.JPG

Top of Goryu resort

black%20mountain_121.JPG

Me and the Shizuoka crew

black%20mountain_122.JPG

Wide view

black%20mountain_123.JPG

My car on Jan. 7th. Took a while to brush off all the snow but I didn't mind that much as I was lost in thoughts of the day before.

black%20mountain_124.JPG

Definitely a good start to the year. I was totally flying on the way there Jynxx (shhhh... it's a secret). I've got some more pictures from the 4th that I'll post when I have a bit more time...

Looking forward to heading back up there this weekend!

A few more pictures for your viewing pleasure... it seems I took surprisingly few. Then again, I don't like to take out the hardware when the snow is flying!

black%20mountain_128.JPG

Stopping for a little prayer

black%20mountain_127.JPG

Happo is over there somewhere

black%20mountain_126.JPG

black%20mountain_125.JPG