Anyone got one of these? definitely considering it. How does it compare in quality to the Hero helmet version? Should i be scrimpy or just splash out on it. and more to the point how cheap can i get it in and around niseko (or haneda airport - the only two places ill likely be in japan). Just to give you some idea of the quality:

The problem with helmet cameras is that POV shots get really boring and annoying after a while. I prefer to see front on and side shots.

Just an ordinary video camera is pretty small and you can hold it while skiing if you need one of those type of shots.

A little bit of POV is OK, but too much is horrid.

Originally Posted By: kokodoko
The problem with helmet cameras is that POV shots get really boring and annoying after a while. I prefer to see front on and side shots.
Just an ordinary video camera is pretty small and you can hold it while skiing if you need one of those type of shots.

Exactly, I agree with ya.

The 960 is just like the 960 setting on the helmet regular 1080 HD. It is a wider view than 1080 and you really can't even notice the quality difference. In my opinion it is a much better deal to go for the 960 since I have the 1080 and the 960 setting is what I shoot on the majority of the time.
Originally Posted By: thursday
I got me a sony HD handycam with internal 32GB. No harddrive to fail, no tape, no nothing. And it's small.

something like this is perfect.

I got a canon fs306 and it is real small.

weeeeeelll... anyone selling them in and around niseko? Or even sapporo (guess i could take a day out to go shopping some time).

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted By: kokodoko

One of the good things about the GoPro is the variety of mounts available, for example, if you get the chest mount, helmet mount and wrist mount, it gives you 3 distinctly different views. If you then pole mount looking back at you, it gives you another excellent view (although I imagine holding a pole steady through an entire run gets a bit old quite quickly.)
For me, the GoPro is a no brainer, but then I use mine in the surf as well.
With regard to the 960, yes, the 960 setting tends to be the most usable setting on the 1080 GoPro, however, if you buy the 960 model, then you will not be able to add the Bakpack accessories which have recently come out, the most useful being an LCD screen which attaches to the back of the camera.
Sorry if this advice is a little late