I presume rescue/recovery efforts began on 1 Jan (if not why not)?

"According to the companion, the accident would have happened at 11:10am on the 1st Jan. "

"A mixed team of Hokkaido Police and Niseko ski patrollers did the search and rescue operation on the 2nd. "

"The victim has been found unconscious and CPA in the bowl at 950m at 10am on the 2nd Jan, 60cm under the surface"

some more info by the looks of it.

Originally Posted By: neil hartmann
On a sad note though, I must pay my respects to long time friend Nishiyama who died in an avalanche yesterday in Niseko. He was hiking and skiing with a friend when apparently he got caught in an avalanche. His body was discovered this morning. This is a guy who absolutely loved skiing and being in the mountains. He had a ton of experience and was a high level skier. He will be sadly missed this season and all seasons to come.

I knew him from way back when I first came to Japan. As a staff member at Al’s bar and then as the manager at Sapporo’s 69 diner where I did my first DJ gigs. He was always so stoked to be skiing. A regular at Asahidake on opening day, he broke trail more than once for me and my crew.

Let this be a lesson to all of us. You can never be too careful when back country riding. Avalanche awareness the proper gear and please remember the buddy system. Don’t let your friends get out of sight in back country terrain.

Note the Niseko Avalanche info #17 on the day of the accident.

It mentions that the snow pack is stabilizing, but also goes on to talk about the danger of early season avalanches.

Happy New Year! Where is the snow gone?

Mountain base 6am: -3℃. 800m: -7.4℃. No overnight snowfall. NE to N wind has remained strong, 15 – 18m/s in high altitude, which made the surface snow above 800m to blow away and form wind-rippled in many slopes. The snow-pack is stabilizing; the particles are transforming from partly decomposed to rounded grains as you go deeper.

In Niseko, many avalanches triggered by facets or depth hoar layers happen quite often especially in early season, when the snow is still relatively shallow. These slides are usually triggered by deep weak layers and are especially difficult to predict. These phenomena is usually seen in December in average snowfall seasons, however looking at the snowfall transition this year, it seems like similar conditions will continue for a while, and actually could get even worse as the longer sun exposure would influence the transformation of the snow grains. Extra attention should be taken especially in highly sun-affected south facing slopes. Whether there is a lot of snow or not, avalanches happen when the conditions are right. Stay conscious and be aware of all possible consequences.

Accumulated snowdrift from the wind?

Niseko haven´t had avi deaths for a long time, but that doesn´t make the place a safe place. I was warned about avalanches in Niseko (Annupuri) when I went there 30 years ago. They naturally happen.

The places where snow can slide are places where we find attractive to slide ourselves.

We can be very careful but still we can get killed.

I wouldn´t go to places where people don´t see you without a buddy. That means slack country, too.

Remember, you got only 15min to dig someone out. If you have a shovel, you can dig quicker...

Sad start for the new year.

These guys climbed up from Goshiki to access the back bowl as the gates are closed from the resort.

Because of the unusual weather we have had so far this season I suspect the backcountry is going to be a little dicey this year. An unusual number of clear nights and days has meant significant hoar frost layers have developed which will remain weak layers as the season progresses.

Originally Posted By: Tex
How long do they remain weak layers GN? The whole season? Might need to think about some gear because I really want to tear up some of those areas...

Anytime you have an inconsistency like they have that bottom layer will always be a factor. Just think of it like a shelf packing more and more weight. It doesn't go away, just harder to see after a while.

Just let your mates go first Tex. Get them to do some big jump turns and traverse across any dodgy looking slopes. Hopefully they'll get it to release if it's going to go. razz

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Just let your mates go first Tex. Get them to do some big jump turns and traverse across any dodgy looking slopes. Hopefully they'll get it to release if it's going to go. razz
smile actually that is my real concern, the others I am with, one being my sister. If you or Mitch aren't out with us I will just get one of the other two to paper scissors rock and play lemming to cut the path razz
Originally Posted By: Go Native

Haha the problem is almost any decent sized avy I have ever seen has been initiated by the 2nd 3rd and even 4th person to go. The first person almost never sets it off unless it is a really steep face. Crazy stuff.
Originally Posted By: Tex
Yeh well just ordered some probes and beacons for our crew. So hopefully they will be a waste of money smile

Make sure you book a course as well.

I always make sure I play as many games of Beacon hide and seek as possible before each trip.