• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty worried about cracking myself in the head with one of my skis connected to powder leashes but in my ultra limited experience of them my skis are usually well and truly stuck in something if they come off in powder so have so far avoided any body contact with my skis. But again I only bother with them on big big pow days and I think ive only used them about 4 times since I got them end of Jan - I got some kind of telephone cord jobbies so my skis are usually behind where I come to a stop. still not super conviced about them though

last year in the blue-cow terrain park (australia) I did backside 360's off the first 2 tabletops, a huge indie off the spine, then a cab 180 off the last tabletop, all in the one sequence - not bad for an old bugger of 31 years!

Leashes will be the death of yeah. If you fall in steep zones and tumble they will smack you over and over again.

On further review I believe you skis are possessed be some demented groundhog or like minded animal?

I heard about some people that tie some bright string or ribbon to the tails of their skis. The ribbon sits on the top of the snow so you can see where the ski is when it comes off aparently. I laughed so hard when I heard that, but then, asthetics aside perhaps its not such a stupid idea in certian conditions. Obviously not when youre hucking big hits and spins though and Ive got too much self respect for that at the moment.

Is that a Japanese idea!What a classic!Unfortunately it`s not always the tail that you can see first(from my exper) Don`t think I`d be caught dead with ribbons tied to the end of my skis.Something like that is worthy of a berth on Danes homepage!!What do ya tie `em to?

yah those silver skiis are gonna leave me one of these days, mark my words. i think i'll spray-paint after this season (it actually creates a decent effect)

yo, nick & rodger you guys should come to biwako on sun instead of dyna for slopestyle

I dunno what you tie them to. I think the idea is to have the string a decent lenghth and the string is light so it doesnt sink into the snow, just runs along behiend you skiing so when they pop off you follow the trail to your burried ski. I havent actually seen anyone with them on though and Im not surprised! Still though, just maaaaaaybe it would work - not that Im about to try though

I get enough flak for the way I ski the run-in to a jump. Then again imagine the new grabs.... Fakie 540 teaked out ribbon grab. How about the back flip double ribbon backscatcher.

I truth it sounds like a good idea for back country riders. Them leashes could hurt you Zwelgen. I like to have my skis far away from me when I crash hard.

PS My skis grapics are so hot they melt the snow.

Sorry Dane Im going to the soft landings in Gifu.

Goodluck at the comp remember your parents are coming the same day.

One of my most impressive tricks is always finding a lift to Gifu or Hakuba (I don't have a car for all those who didn't know) ;\)

At the risk of sounding like a prat, I tend to have a pretty high fear threshold. I also have an attitude based on "what one man can do, so can another".

From a technical perspective I actually think that a backflip is very easy. Way easier than spin (ie 360 etc) type jumps. I may be able to do a soft snow backflip but don't expect anything else very interesting from me when it comes to jumps! I would never rock up to a jump like I know what I am doing. having said that flips are technically easy, the big block is mental. Most people just do not feel comfortable with the backflip sensation, and that is understandable.

The following is not intended to be big-noting, just an attempt to set the scene with respect to my comfort with backflips: I grew up on a trampoline at high school and could do triple backflips etc. It has bee a long time since I did a flip but once the sensation is in your head you tend to feel comfortable with it from then on. The day before I did the flip I was re-acquainting myself with the flip sensation by doing them with EnderZero in the snow without my board attached. All we were doing was standing on a lump of snow and flipping backwards down a drop. This is easy as really all you are doing is falling backwards with a jump and then turning the body over. What was tough (and my mental problem with the jump) was with the kicker backflip you start by heading forward and hitting the kicker, and then against that forward momentum you have to flip backwards. To overcome this I just visualised the jump. Ask the guys that were with me. I stood next to the kicker for 10 minutes "seeing it" in my head over and over. I tried to live every approach and outcome in my head before I tried it. I read that olympic 100m sprinters have run the race 100 times in their head on the morning of the race. Before they have even stepped up to the line they have felt the joy of winning. All that is left is to do it. This is where I learnt the "see and then do" technique. I use it all over the place, even job interviews. It may sound dumb, but it works. This will sound really dumb, but standing at the top of the kicker run-in, I had already done the flip as far as I was concerned. From that point onwards it was not going to be a challenge as I knew I could do what I had already done in my head. All that was left was to actually do it. This way of thinking is not fool proof (ever visualised yourself flying? ever tried to do it?). But if you think you may fail, then you probably will. Another twitty sounding cliche is "if you fail to plan, then you have planned to fail". I love challenges and the joy of beating them, that is why my mind naturally aimed to do a flip so early in my snowboarding experience. There are already other things racing through my head....

If I get any more fresh snow this year I want to try a backflip with a 180 (perhaps a 360) and may attempt a double backflip. A double is not really anymore technically difficult than a single. Again it is mental. If you have enough height then there is little difference between one flip and two. However timing the landing would be harder and stopping the faster spin would also be tough, but actually doing the flips would be only a small step up from the single.

Finally, I have started to get an itch to try it on skis as the body is far more naturally aligned for a flip on skis than it is on a board.

I for one think the same thing. The problem is in the middle of my flip I stop looking at the landing and thats not good. Might give it ago this weekend if my crushed chest is up to it. As of late I really like flying backwards and laning switch.

Nice post there db.

The mental side of snowboarding is what sometimes holds me back. I find that if i think too much about something then i begin to sketch out. I think it comes back to thinking that you may fail. Then you start thinking this can wrong and that can happen and so on. You aren't 100% confident in your ability.

Since coming back from Japan i have noticed that i have been thinking and visualising snowboarding tricks and turns a lot more. I think it is also from reading some of the posts on the forums as well. I'll be interested to see how i go this coming season.

I've got a video clip of a dude doing a doubel backflip. Im pretty sure he rides out of it. I'm suprised though because he was spinning very very fast.