Slow lifts means you spend a lot of time getting up the mountain at the same time having your extremities frozen.

I was at Tomamu last year and they were the slowest lifts I'd ever been on. It took something like 12 minutes to travel a mere 800 meters. I dunno the meter per second that chair lifts travel at on average, but surely it ain't like this.

Freezing your nuts off on a chair is not good.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it's freezing cold and windy or there's a lots of untouched pow waiting to be slashed, I couldn't agree more BUT on a bluebird day, with good views, I love being on a chairlift, slow or not. Having said that, I haven't tried out those at Tomamu so maybe I'll change my mind when I go there next month! wink

At Annapuri last year during all that New Years stormy weather the lifts were crawling unbelievably slow. Granted the winds were howling and the lifts shouldn't have been running anyway but it was pretty painful trying to stay warm.

Ahh...just remembered. Every once in a while after work I go up to Yeti for a nighta on the back run. Those lifts are brutally slow and the entire terrain is so flat there isn't even the payoff of good skiing. confused

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Ahh...just remembered. Every once in a while after work I go up to Yeti for a nighta on the back run. Those lifts are brutally slow and the entire terrain is so flat there isn't even the payoff of good skiing. confused

The Family Lift at Hunter Mountain makes the lifts at Yeti look positively high-speed.
Originally Posted By: thursday
Slow lifts means you spend a lot of time getting up the mountain at the same time having your extremities frozen.

I was at Tomamu last year and they were the slowest lifts I'd ever been on. It took something like 12 minutes to travel a mere 800 meters. I dunno the meter per second that chair lifts travel at on average, but surely it ain't like this.

Freezing your nuts off on a chair is not good.

I think this is your longest post ever! razz

Shiga has really slow lifts around Yokoteyama. The three to get to the top of it feel like they take forever. The same with the nighta over there - I think its Kumanoyu? It's a pretty slow lift, too. It takes twice as long to ride to the top as it does to bomb to the bottom...a one turn nighta almost isn't worth it. I sure wish I was getting a fix of Niseko nightas this year as they're THE best.
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I think this is your longest post ever! razz

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Yeah bloody hell thursday, I had to take a breather part way through that. wink
I bet you don't ski either.
Etc etc etc etc etc etc yawn etc etc.

Apologies. I got quite carried away. Will keep them short and to the point.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
depends on weather conditions a lot doesn't it.

I normally hate those hooded ones - too claustrophobic, but on a bitterly cold windy day they are heaven!

No. Not dependant on the weather. The lifts are slow because they are slow.

Hooded King 3? That is ace for warming up for your next run. More hooded please please.
Originally Posted By: Chriselle

Niseko nightas are poetic.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Joetsu Kokusai has a few unbearably slow pair lifts that are effectively just taking you from one area to another - and not 'up'.

Here's one, only made slightly interesting by the snowman riding it.

Definitely needs a hood.
He's frozen solid!
Originally Posted By: thursday
Originally Posted By: RobBright
sorry I lost interest after the first line.

Could somebody summarise Thursday's point? wink

For those lacking in attention disorder:

sitting long in cold bad. bollocks freeze.

If those people are lacking in attention disorder, then they wouldn't have attention disorder right?

There´s this one chair near us that´s a killer. It´s not because it´s slow but it really hurts the back of your thigh with snowboard on. Like it cuts off circulation. Many times I thought of taking my snowboard and carry it in my hand. I finally saw someone who did so.

The single chair thing is out of 60´s or something. No snowboards then.

Chair lift speed never bothered me. It´s all about the snow. I don´t care if it is cold or slightly windy. Wear a down. Dress for success ! (old skydiving saying)

Bur them perspex dome thingy is thumbsup Wow! for sure.