Just bought my ticket to Sapporo for the 21st of Dec.

Any travel tips from people who have gone to Japan from the US or Canada, or anywhere for that matter? Anything helps really. Definitely a noob to getting around in Japan. What can I expect for baggage prices on skis? Thanks guys!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they might not let you in Mitch. Have you got a job already sorted? When I first came here I had a 1 way ticket but the company I was working for set it up, so Immigration weren't bothered. I think as long as you can show them that you have enough money to live and then get home it will be ok

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Don't plan on falling in love anytime soon though haha.

Get ready to fall in love with the powder!! biggrin

(assuming you get through immigration) wink
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
How many tickets do you buy in a year pete?! Seems like you are always buying plane tickets and travelling. You jammy git! wink

Hehe yeah - work 31 days straight then have 21 off so travel on those days off, luckily work buys my tickets.
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Originally Posted By: Tex
See Ya there smile

Awesome Tex, I am looking to be a forward commander in the battle against secret stashes biggrin

Damn Straight! You're the Scout, the rear detachment will arrive on the 19th of Jan. I have an undercover operative in country as we speak but I am pretty sure his cover is blown! Looks like an assassination attempt.... wink

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
I am going to hunt down GN while we are there this time too coolmirrors LOOK OUT GN!!!!!
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
How many tickets do you buy in a year pete?! Seems like you are always buying plane tickets and travelling. You jammy git! wink

Hehe yeah - work 31 days straight then have 21 off so travel on those days off, luckily work buys my tickets.

I don't really want to know as it will make me envious, but.... why?

I work a fly in/fly out job for a mining company in a remote part of China. I'm an Environmental and Safety Manager so there is a certain level of stress that goes with that coupled with working every day and living in a place where effectively no one speaks English and my Chinese is coming along slowly. In short at times its not easy.

I was offered return trips to Australia for my breaks or I can use the value of those flights to go anywhere, so I packed up my house in Australia and become a tax exile courtesy of Kevin 07. I already pay tax here but would have to pay some more back in Aus if I was returning there which is outrageous. Anyways..... every 5 weeks or so Im off on an adventure, the kicker is its all business class flights, just dont tell Thursday I told you this as he gets a little silly when I mention it.

To be fair Pete, you do seem to mention a lot on how your company provides you with flights. Perhaps Thursday may be slightly miffed with that rather than anything else?

@MP - Japanese flight companies are unlikely to send out a one-way ticket to someone overseas. The best bet is to cancel and buy the open-ended from overseas.

The only person I know who bought a one-way ticket got stuck going out of Japan. Even though he was coming back, he didn't know when due to family problems. You might get lucky, you might not, but Japanese customs do like to see that you have a return ticket w/enough money to support yourself while here.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
To be fair Pete, you do seem to mention a lot on how your company provides you with flights. Perhaps Thursday may be slightly miffed with that rather than anything else?

@MP - Japanese flight companies are unlikely to send out a one-way ticket to someone overseas. The best bet is to cancel and buy the open-ended from overseas.

The only person I know who bought a one-way ticket got stuck going out of Japan. Even though he was coming back, he didn't know when due to family problems. You might get lucky, you might not, but Japanese customs do like to see that you have a return ticket w/enough money to support yourself while here.

I am a bit worried about this now, is there anyone who has flown from the US? We technically don't need tourist visas because of an agreement between countries. Can anyone verify with me?

Mitch, just ring up the embassy/consulate if you want to be really sure. Or, ask your local travel agent ...

You are only staying for 3 months (which is a visa free period) so just a reasonable amount of funds is all you need. You probably don´t need to show it. Carry it in Visa cash card/TC whatever. If they want to see your funds, you have it in your hand.

Personally, All my tickets have been e-tickets. Doesn´t matter where/who you buy it from. It gets sent to your email address. Just print it out.

Technically, if he is working he needs a working visa. But agreed about the cash, credit cards don't carry any weight with the Japanese officials, as Jynxx says, either cash or T/C.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Technically, if he is working he needs a working visa. But agreed about the cash, credit cards don't carry any weight with the Japanese officials, as Jynxx says, either cash or T/C.

What if I was able to open my bank account for them and show them my balance? from my laptop? I don't want to carry 8,000 in cash

Mitch the 1st year I went to the US (pre internet) I needed $10K but only had just over $2.5K. I used that same money to open and close 3 more accounts but over a week but kept a balance each time. That worked.

Im sure you could print out a copy of your account details and have it on you if need be.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Mitch the 1st year I went to the US (pre internet) I needed $10K but only had just over $2.5K. I used that same money to open and close 3 more accounts but over a week but kept a balance each time. That worked.

Im sure you could print out a copy of your account details and have it on you if need be.

Thanks Pete, that helps, will call the embassy tomorrow and get more info.