Qatar, the only thing they are known for in footballing circles is of beeing the worst team on "Sensible Soccer"!! That was a total crock, I think it should've went to Australia. Russia I'm happy about....

Quote:
Hellooooooooo Eastern european sex slaves.
evilgrin

wink

Qatar has 20% of the population below the poverty level, yet ranks 18th in GDP per capita. Qatar is one of the lowest spenders on education in the world, ranked at 116. Qatar has a literacy rate of about 76%. Qatar has also had a significantly declining GDP as of the past 2 years, and oil production is at a 30% decline than in the past decade. (all of these courtesy of the CIA factbook)

Just some food for thought! Seems to me this country is very unworthy of hosting a global tournament. They care nothing for their people. Seems like some FIFA members were given lifetime petrol cards for their cars, boats, and planes...

And? Most of the points you make can be transposed quite rationally on to other countries. confused

What do any of those statistic have to do with choosing a World Cup location? Now bribing, you have a point...

Originally Posted By: RobBright
And? Most of the points you make can be transposed quite rationally on to other countries. confused

What do any of those statistic have to do with choosing a World Cup location? Now bribing, you have a point...

How would you transpose these facts to Australia? Please give me an example. Last time I checked Australia invests far more in its education, human capital, and people. Russia as well, modernly.

My point is a country that cares nothing for its population should not be able to be honored with hosting the world cup. $$$$$$$ is the only thing this deal is for and where FIFA has arrived as an institution. It seems to me you are being critical for the point of being critical instead of actually absorbing my point.

Ok let's look at the usa statistics:

Poverty level - about 17/18% or so right?

America - based on statistics, and depending on the model used, it could be 99% or as low as 65%

debt - $1.7trillon

Yet they were bidding for the games?

Australian GDP decreased by 10% last year.

Poverty - again depending on models, around 13-16%

Has the 14th highest child poverty rate in OECD.

Qatar - has free health care, free education.

Statistics are a dangerous thing. You could argue that the Australian government doesn't care for it's people either, look at the Aboriginal situation.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Ok let's look at the usa statistics:

Poverty level - about 17/18% or so right?
America - based on statistics, and depending on the model used, it could be 99% or as low as 65%
debt - $1.7trillon

Yet they were bidding for the games?

Australian GDP decreased by 10% last year.
Poverty - again depending on models, around 13-16%
Has the 14th highest child poverty rate in OECD.

Qatar - has free health care, free education.

Statistics are a dangerous thing. You could argue that the Australian government doesn't care for it's people either, look at the Aboriginal situation.

The point about GDP comparison was cities like Doha and Dubai that are building ridiculous things like indoor ski resorts, indoor cycling paths, etc. 12 years from now is it likely that these things are going to prevail, or prove to be a waste of money/resources? That went hand in hand with oil production which is rapidly declining and most people speculate that their oil will barely make it til then. Immerse the world cup in a country founded on one entire thing: oil? Sounds like quite the gamble to me. That is what I am trying to say about the correlation of GDP decrease and Oil production decrease...it is a gamble.

debt 1.7 trillion of the US? Rob times that by 9 and you arrived at the answer. HOWEVER, the US is large and has a variety of climates. Therefore building a stadium will not need air conditioning for a hundred thousand people.

The point about the not caring about people: Just like South Africa the burden is going to fall on them when all these magnificent stadiums are built that NEED air conditioning in a 125 degree climate. This is unsustainable behavior and will have future implications on the country's population. Australia, Russia, the US all have the infrastructure and population to support a large amount of sports venues. Although the point could be made that Russia would too need vast improvements.

scrap all those statistics, Qatar shouldn't get the World Cup because its a footballing amoeba! They have NEVER been anywhere near to qualifying for this tournament. They don't have a footballing heritage and thats why they shouldn't get it. This arguement could be said about the US in '94 BUT the difference being that there was a grassroots movement trying to get going in the States and in the end the World Cup really helped to heighten the profile of Football in the States and the end result is a pretty popular MLS. Australia would've been an awesome place to stage the World Cup, football is also becoming more popular in Oz and they actually have decent players that can hold their own on the world stage

I think it's a poor choice. I think Oz would have made a good show of it. We have recently hosted the Olympics and rugby world cups with great success. That said, a lot of other countries would have done a great job as well.

I would have liked to have seen it go to a third world African or South American country. They may well have made a dog's breakfast of it (Commonwealth games Delhi springs to mind) but hey, it's just a football game after all. Right?

What a waste of time and money, trying to convince a mob of FIFA executives that we can do a decent job. Why did someone think that the event was worth spending that insane amount of money just to present a bid?

Could the money not have been spent somewhere else where it would have done some good?

And, did they actually think that the bid, plus the construction of the stadium facilities that'd be required, would have been recouped? I think not! All of these "bids" for stuff is just a waste of public money for private gain - tell me that the governments didn't fund the bids, and that the return wouldn't have been to the private consortium members!

Originally Posted By: JA
Why did someone think that the event was worth spending that insane amount of money just to present a bid?

Because it would bring in an much more insane amount of money if they won.
Perhaps.