See whats going down, what the snow is like, where mates are going, where Ive been riding lately, how much moolah is in my wallet... if nothing spesh going on head to Nozawa with my season pass and enjoy the 15 min drive. But I dont like going there all the time because I dont want to get bored with it so a bit of variation to spice things up is important.

1) Accesability...day trip v. weekend...car trains or planes

2) Terrain Terrain Terrain...if the snow is no good, it better have the terrain to keep me interested

3) Snow conditions

4) Can I fill my car??

danz

i don't have the luxury too choose.

fortunately for me, nick is a good chooser

but hey, if the grass hill by my house had snow, you can be i'd be sessioning it.

There are quite a few choices around here, so usually I choose based on the weather predictions to go where the freshest snow is. My wife snowboards too so although we try to go with friends, its not mandatory since we have fun even if its just us.

Last weekend we went to Hakkoda cause the weather was predicted to be clear. It was pretty clear, and for the first time this season, I was able to see the surrounding mountains, the plains and valleys below, the trails down the mountain, the top of the ropeway from near the base etc. Met Iggy there and they showed us a run off-piste that was incredibly awesome. After that run, I can't imagine ever trying to ski one of the open runs again. Although 4 of the 5 times we've gone this year the weather sucked really bad so going off-piste would have been dangerous.

I'm gonna save up my vacation time and next year, every time there is clear weather after a dump, I'm heading for Hakkoda even if its a work day.