Hey guys, I'm new to the forums but I've been using snowjapan for a couple of years now. I've been to Kagura before and its one of my favorites, but that was in late February to late March that I went. Kagura is planning to open on November 20th and Gala Yuzawa is planning on the 21st. Has anyone been to either of these resorts on the opening day? What were the conditions like? How many of the runs will actual be open? I'm assuming they'll be incredible crowded. Anyone else planning on going when they open that weekend? If anyone has an input to these questions, it would be greatly appreciated since I may take a trip out there with my friend if I think it will be ok. If not, I'll just have to continue being patient as they we're already bothering me to go to Snow Town Yeti, which I know is not worth the trip from Yokosuka. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gala are planning to open on 12th December, not 21st November.

Conditions will depend on how much snow we get, if any, up there allowing them to open. Obviously. wink

I'd check out Naeba Now and Yuzawa Now to see how previous seasons went, I never go out there right at the beginning myself.

All depends on the snow MiniMoose. In the infamous season of '05, conditions were excellent in early/mid december but if you look through the reports here:

Kagura 09

Kagura 08

Kagura 07

Kagura 06

You can see that Nov 20th is a little optimistic really, it only really starts to get going mid December but then, you never know eh?

Thanks for the info guys.

Maybe I should just wait a bit longer. I really don't like man made snow and if they only have a couple of runs open, I should just continue to be patient. Since it does take a while to drive and the shinkansen ticket wouldn't be worth it either. I know mid December was about when the season really starts. But since I remember Kagura being open later into the season last season, I thought it might have been an ok trip.

And I'm not sure where I saw that Gala was opening the 21st, but just double checked the site, 12th is correct.

Anyway, thanks again for the input!

Hopefully the season will really start around mid-December.... around town though it's often Christmas or later before it does get going proper. Again see the reports for the last 7 or 8 years to see what has happened....

Yeah, I'm in the US Navy and they have a car rental place on base that also pays your tolls. So splitting the cost is a great way to make trips.

And yeah, looking at the old reports, I think I'll hold off a little longer.

Yep, they pay tolls when you rent. wink

So that just leaves splitting the cost of the rental (Which is something like $40-60 a day depending if you get a car or a van) and then gas.

Maybe sometime I can make a trip with people from the forums.

Well, as another Kanagawa-based, car-less resident, I'd be interested in hooking up for a mid-December trip!! I actually checked out Yeti on Friday and if you go with low expectations, it's not too bad for a pre-season warm-up!! It's probably a different matter on a weekend though!!

LOL! Yeah, imagine 200 hundred people on that narrow little strip of "snow"! It's pretty outrageous until they get all the areas going. The only time I go these days is to the all night ski! Check their calendar for details!