Thinking about taking some time off work for a little snowboard excursion (3 days or so).

I've done Gunma, Nagano, and Niigata but have never been any further north. So I was thinking about taking a trip up to Hokkaido for Niseko or going to Zao.

Any suggestions? Or other places people would really recommend.

Thanks

It's definitely not the greatest for boarders but there is fun to be had! And losing one day (minimum) on a three day trip seems kind of silly. I stayed in Zao for three days last season and enjoyed myself. If you are there in Feb. it's definitely worth the trip!

I'm not too worried about accommodation and time isn't really so much of an issue. when I said three days I meant three days of riding plus whatever travel time is. I'm really just looking for the better experience, looking to get into some nice powder, good scenery, some tree runs, stuff like that. I dabble in the park, but I can get that stuff closer to Tokyo so it's not a priority. I'm willing to take time off work so I want it to be worthwhile.

If anyone has another suggestions I'm definitely open to them. I've lived in Japan about three years now so I'm not afraid to go off the beaten path.

Here's my report from Feb 22nd last year

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/354419/Zao_Onsen_Yamagata_22nd_Februa.html

Apparently they were past their peak then even.

Just a week or so after that, they were quickly disappearing, so I'm not sure how reliable the end of Feb would be.

I think Zao is probably best late January / early February.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
If you have 5 days, then Niseko wins hands down.

I wouldn't say that.

Depends on how long you want to travel.

I'd probably go to Zao and wait for Niseko when I have a bit longer.

Not into mad rushing around myself.

As a person who goes to Zao 5 to 10 times a season and loves it I would still recommend Hokkaido over Zao. Zao can be a bit hit and miss at times with snow and if the wind is up it is very unpleasant. Living relatively close to Zao allows me to pick and choose when I can go there.

Contrary to popular belief Zao is pretty good for snowboarders, especially if you know your way around. The (if you are facing the mountain) right side of the mountain has some good tree runs and is fairly easy to use for boarders. However, the left side is more of a problem.

If I were you I would go to Hokkaido. The thing is I do not understand the love in with Niseko. Do not get me wrong it does kick arse, but you could go to Rusutsu and be more than happy for three days. Lots of powder, less people and you can pretty much go anywhere.

I love Zao, but I think Hokkaido is the better option especially if money is not an issue.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
If you are fairly close to Zao beo, where else do you frequent?

I do not live that close, but close enough to make an informed decision about the weather.

However, I spread myself around quite a bit these days. Because I live on the western side of Yamagata, during the week I either head to Akita's Yashima or go to Taranokidai for night boarding.

On the weekends I sometimes go to Yudonosan, but usually head to Jangle Jungle if I am not at Zao.

This year I am planning on trying out a few more places in Yamagata, like in Yonezawa and Oguni (the Oguni halfpipe looks interesting).