OK so it's dumb question time!

My phone has the old googlemaps and stuff on and now a navigation thing going on. Pretty cool. But I don't know -- is this using data that I pay for, or is the gps stuff somehow 'free'?

lol Don't even know how to ask the question well!

Well you did when you first bought the sat nav. wink It's included in the price.

You don't pay to use navigation on your phone if you have the unlimited data/internet service. Simple as that.

If you don't, then you pay for what you download to look at on your phone.

I'm confused.

Are you saying that if I have the 使ã„放題 data plan at docomo, and I use the navigation.... I am not paying anything. I am not even using "packets of data"?

I sure don't remember paying for any data on my sat nav, and it seems strange that I can use that "forever" without using data if I do on my phone. Unless you say otherwise.

Loaf of bread, the data you use when using your phone is downloading the maps. They are generally not stored on the phone, each time you use it it downlaods the maps new each time.

For your in car GPS the Maps (data) are all already STORED on your GPS device. The actual Satellite to phone or GPS data for positioning is free for both.

The map data is what you pay for...

I too have navi on my phone which costs 300yen per month unlimited use, this is with AU, other providers may charge a different rate??

Without paying for the package the main functions will not work anyway.

And actually the phone navigation system although very handy and works like a car navi, will stop working once you have reached your packet limit for that 24 hour period.

I found this out last year when I used it in my car, after about 100 klm it stopped working. I thought something had gone wrong so took it to the AU shop and they told me it has a packet limit, how stupid!!!! But never the less a fact!

In case of AU it resets every night at 1am.

For anyone that has navi and wants to use it on a long jurney better to use it only when you are not sure of an area.

Shame really as it tells you your expected arrival time and traffic jams etc!

Originally Posted By: loaf of bread
Aha, no I see.

OK. Thank you.

friend

Does it use a lot of data or is it minimal? Of course the more time you use it and the more you use of course....

Pretty minimal for use for short periods but if you are continually moving then the maps are continually loading and so then is the data...

I have the unlimited package for the internet and email, so max per month cant exceed the top limit which I think is 4500 yen

I am also paying 3oo yen / month for the navi which is also unlimited use, so whether I use 1 min per month or all day still only 300 yen!

This is with AU other carriers may charge different rates or have different set ups!