I'm being a big girl - I want to start jumping but I'm too frightened! Any tips best way to start out/stance or how to bypass falling and go straight to being shit hot;)? btw, I'm a boarder.

ps.I'm going to Hakuba this w/e, but as a virgin jumper I don't know where's the best place to practice? cheers...

Before you hit anything of any size it's good to get used to being airborn by hitting bumps and natural little kickers on (or off the side of )the gelende while your cruising around. Start small and work your way up ;\)

for starters make sure you approach the jump straight, don't carve in and don't be on either edge, be centred. don't try and jump too much, just cruise over at first. as you leave the jump, don't lean back, lean a slight bit forward. most learners land really heavily on their tails, you want to land only slightly tail first.

i also think it really helps to hang the crotch of your trousers past your knees and have chains and stuff hanging out of your pockets. i could also recommend a gold tooth or two and hanging about in a gang. these should all help you snowboard better.....

Yeah, what`s with the little "scrotum" pouches that you see dangling off the all the crew in the parks anyway?

I've seen people wearing some stupid, impractical shit on the slopes here but those things have gotta take the cake wakaranai.gif

like others have said, start small and work Ur way up.

I've gotta go against what stepchild is saying: i do NOT recommend that you "don't try and jump too much, just cruise over at first." this is about the worst advice U can get, especially when U'r just starting out in the park or on jumps. FT has said this time and again, and he's right: you've got to ollie/pop when you hit the lip of the jump.

most tricks are made within the last three feet of the jump and the first three feet of air. this can be the scariest part of any jump b/c U have the most speed at this point and it's do or die. but it's also the most fun part, too!

BEND UR KNEES! BUK BUK BUK BUK! when U approach the jump, Bend Ur Knees! just as U go over the lip, POP/Ollie, then Bend Ur Knees again in the air to set up Ur landing. BUK--Bend Ur Knees.

most importantly, don't think too much, have fun!

what about for ski jumpers?

i can jump a bit, but not any tricks (my mind doesn't want to do two things at one time)...

fattwins just said to keep the weight centred, I'm not sure if he's talking about skiing or boarding, but for skiing I keep my weight forward and try to have my skiis parallel (roughly) with the landing area, but the tips landing slightly before the tails...

Well, i'm an instructor at whistler, and when i get someone who wants to start jumping, i go through a little proggression with them.

Step 1- Learn how to ollie. When you do a straight ollie, the dynamics are pretty well the same, whether you're jumping 3 feet or 30. Start flat, with your hands hanging out over your tip and tail. You want to be lined up with the board, and you want to be going straight, with the base flat. Ollie off the tail (if you don't know what an ollie is, that is a different lesson), and try to land with both feet at the same time, with the base flat. Its tricky to take off a edge, or to land on one. So remember, go straight and flat.

Step 2- Take it to a small jump. Check it out first. Is the takeoff smooth? How about the landing? Is it flat (hard to absorb the landing) or is it on a slope? Send the huckster in your group off it first and see how much speed you need. When you go off, keep it the same as an ollie. because its a jump, you actually don't need to ollie, but the principles are the same. Hit the jump straight, with the base flat. Have your body lined up with the board, which is lined up with the takeoff. Go over it, but don't absorb the jump with your knees. keep your body position in the air, don't flail aka roll down the cadillac windows. Try to land with both feet landing at the same time, and don't try to slow down by immediately throwing the board sideways. Exit the jump going straight, then slowly turn and dump your speed. And thats it. Then you can work on grabbing the board ion the air, and learning to do canadian bacons and cross-rockets.

Enjoy.

cheers 4 all advice - watch out for kamikazee jumper!

oyuki k - what u said totally makes sense, however havin bypassed skateboarding i never really attempted an ollie. i know it involves leanin yr weight towards back of board - oh b*ll*cks, i cant lie, i've no idea how to do it!

if you can give the `special` girl here a quick lesson on how ollie i wld really apprec. it (and might save some broken bones)

thanks...

spot on oyuki k.

you've got to learn to ollie on flat and on little bumps first. not on a kicker. chaotic - go on transworld snow or something, they'll have a far better explanation of an ollie than i could offer. plus it takes ages...

meanwhile, as a learner, you don't want to be worrying about ollieing when you first hit a kicker. it takes a lot of coordination to ollie at first. whilst you're learning to ollie on flat and off small bumps, hit the smallest kickers in the park. don't think about jumping, think about control. i see so many learners hitting kickers and hucking off them. the first few times you hit kickers you want to be in control on the take-off, in the air and on the landing. keep your balance centered and your knees bent when you're hitting the kicker. there's nothing wrong with riding over it the first few times, getting a little bit of air and landing with control.

when this feels right, and you are ollieing on the piste with contol, combine the two. but only when both of them feel ok. ollie off the lip.

but don't jump the gun. don't go trying to learn to ollie off a kicker. it'll end in tears.

enjoy.

still gotta 5 against step child. NOT popping when U R learning kickers, bumps, or jumps U've made w/ Ur friends on the side of the ski slope is only going to give U something 2 correct later... so U might as well learn it, right?

it just takes a little practice. best of luck, have fun!