Japan imposes 40% cigarette tax increase

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: thursday

Cancer spreaders would say anything to justify their obsession with killing people with their "right' to do as they please.

Yep that's exactly why people choose to smoke, because they are obsessed with killing people... rolleyes

This is how the subject 'evolves' is it thurs? Mindless crap? This thread should just be closed...

Mindless crap in your mind perhaps. Different points of view. I've never called yours mindless crap ... yet.

THread should be closed? why? to stop it evolving into an anti smoking thread? Wanting to censor something?

Weird isn't it.

We talk about the snow over and over again, Hakuba and Niseko, food, beer, dope, take a piss at the dancing frog (he is good value btw), tell thurs to get a life, etc ...

and still get comments how boring and repetitive it is.

Yeah, sure, we love to know ... how bored you are ... very interesting

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Weird isn't it.
We talk about the snow over and over again, Hakuba and Niseko, food, beer, dope, take a piss at the dancing frog (he is good value btw), tell thurs to get a life, etc ...
and still get comments how boring and repetitive it is.
Yeah, sure, we love to know ... how bored you are ... very interesting

Actually Jynxx we've been talking about when you'd get a better grasp of the ingwish language behind your back. Sorry.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
They thought it would here too .... but it hasn't.
People adjust. They b!tch and moan for a while, but there are plenty of pubs locally that have 15 or 10 minute queues to get in regularly, and there is no smoking.

For younger people and cities, that's fair enough Mama.

The pubs I meant were ones in villages away from the towns that are supported by older people in that community. Such pubs often double as post offices, grocers, newsagents etc. Pubs that form an important role in their community and part of their town or villages' character. They're the pubs people don't want killing, not the glitzy fake brass and disco lights jobs in the city that are slightly more tolerable without smoke. Many older people are used to and accepting of smoke in the pub, especially if it means the pub can keep enough regulars to stay open. Blanket bans forget that.

Didn't some decorator in Britain get a fine for smoking in his van? They said it was his "workplace".

Same thing happened in Canada. I truck driver was arrested while driving his truck and smoking because it's considered his workplace. How about people with home offices? In fact, we run two businesses out of our home so would we be fined twice if I light up inside?

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Same thing happened in Canada. I truck driver was arrested while driving his truck and smoking because it's considered his workplace. How about people with home offices? In fact, we run two businesses out of our home so would we be fined twice if I light up inside?

See, that's just bonkers. if the work place consists of two smokers, then let them smoke.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain

See, that's just bonkers. if the work place consists of two smokers, then let them smoke.
Agreed.
If you have one non smoker in a company of ten smokers though the dynamics change for the benefit of the non smoker. But if everyone smokes, and no customers are coming in to the workplace - why shouldn't they be allowed?..

Mostly would come down to litigation concerns I'd say. One gets cancer and decides to blame the company because they allowed smoking and the smoky work environment helped cause it. Well that's probably what they'd argue...

Most of the banning of smoking has come about because of litigation concerns. Probably why it's still so prevalent in Japan, it's not an overly litigous society.

Matter of fact, Japan says they will not pay out for any tabaccoo litigation.

I was taught that the making of law, executing, and prosecution, the 3 are independent in Japan. Clearly, money talks and bullshit walks and there are people above the law.

Well played Go Native.

If you don't like smoking, don't come. If you are here and don't like smoking, go home. Enjoy your smoked food on your smoking barbecue and heat your house with a smoking wood fire. The carcinogens (tar) are the same, but lack the buzz of nicotine.

If you come here and choose to complain about smoking, don't forget to leave behind from your advanced western countries: youth crime, vandalism, car theft, mugging, graffiti, dog shit, junkies.