Japan imposes 40% cigarette tax increase

If you don't like smoking, then don't go and sit next to some smokers and complain about the smoke when you try to eat your lunch.

Also, there is no rule that they need to ask YOU before they light up - if they're allowed to light up in that building, why do they need your further permission?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical smokers comment.

"then don't go and sit next to some smokers and complain about the smoke when you try to eat your lunch."

Oftentimes people come and sit near to you, not the other way round.

Anyway, tell me where you are going Minty and I'll just let rip some of my farts in ya face, see how you like that.

lol

JA, according to Japanese source from July 2010:

Women

1 Japan 86.44 NO.1 for the last 25 years

2. HK 86.1

3 France 84.5

Men

1. Qatar 81 previous year 76.6

2. HK 79.8

3. Iceland, Swiss 79.7

5 Japan 79.59

Looking for data male/female, country, smoker's per population, smoking per capita, etc.

Looks like Iceland and Japan is like 33%, Australia and Swiss ~20%

ballpark figure.

Here, in tourist mecca, ALL restaurants and bars are smoke free.

Business has never been so good. The cancer addicts need to leave the establishment to have their cancer thrill.

There's even a hotline to call the cancer police if you feel the establishment is not doing enough to throw smokers out. At the tourist spots they respond with uniformed police.

The duty free allowance for cancer sticks used to be 3 packs, then it was reduced to 1 pack, now it's down to 19. This means you cannot sell it unopened.

If you arrive with a full pack of 20, the best thing to do, if you don't want to pay tax AND you don't want to waste a cancer stick, is to stick it up your asshole, then go through customs. Once through, you can go retrieve it and have a nice fag outside. That's if you don't mind the shit tast and smell on the butt.

Originally Posted By: MintyNZ
If you don't like smoking, then don't go and sit next to some smokers and complain about the smoke when you try to eat your lunch.
Also, there is no rule that they need to ask YOU before they light up - if they're allowed to light up in that building, why do they need your further permission?

This is rather undercooked. What if decent normal healthy people are sitting at their table and some sicko cancered people with absolutely no notion of shame for the death they are spreading decide to sit next to them. Then they proceed to light up?

Good cause to leave and go to a place that is totally cancer free.

There is no reason at all to smoke and several powerful reasons not to smoke.

To go around smoking in public is just incredibly rude, more so in confined spaces like restaurants.

I actually don't understand why people are not more militant about it. I strongly feel the urge (everytime) to **** people over the head as they walk past me with a cig.

The whole passive smoking risks have been so exaggerated it's ridiculous. Some of the biggest studies done on this show that you literally need years and years of being in a very smoky environment to have even a fairly slightly increased risk of getting cancer.

Sure for a non smoker it can be annoying as hell but please all this rhetoric and ridiculous propaganda about the risks just get beyond stupid.

Frankly I couldn't care less what people outside of Japan think of smoking. Here it is still very accepted socially and that's what people from outside Japan need to recognise if they travel here.

Originally Posted By: thursday

Business has never been so good. The cancer addicts need to leave the establishment to have their cancer thrill.

There's even a hotline to call the cancer police if you feel the establishment is not doing enough to throw smokers out. At the tourist spots they respond with uniformed police.
The duty free allowance for cancer sticks used to be 3 packs, then it was reduced to 1 pack, now it's down to 19. This means you cannot sell it unopened.

If you arrive with a full pack of 20, the best thing to do, if you don't want to pay tax AND you don't want to waste a cancer stick, is to stick it up your asshole, then go through customs. Once through, you can go retrieve it and have a nice fag outside. That's if you don't mind the shit tast and smell on the butt.

This is rather undercooked. What if decent normal healthy people are sitting at their table and some sicko cancered people with absolutely no notion of shame for the death they are spreading decide to sit next to them. Then they proceed to light up?

Are you on the booze again , or making up for lost posting time? wink
Originally Posted By: Go Native
The whole passive smoking risks have been so exaggerated it's ridiculous. Some of the biggest studies done on this show that you literally need years and years of being in a very smoky environment to have even a fairly slightly increased risk of getting cancer.

Sure for a non smoker it can be annoying as hell but please all this rhetoric and ridiculous propaganda about the risks just get beyond stupid.

Frankly I couldn't care less what people outside of Japan think of smoking. Here it is still very accepted socially and that's what people from outside Japan need to recognise if they travel here.

This thread has evolved to encompass smoking as an evil. Can you not see through the smoke?

Does 7 years of Japanese izakayas help? razz
Originally Posted By: RobBright

Are you on the booze again , or making up for lost posting time? wink

How you get so many wonderful quotes in one post?

I just have to laugh though how people complain about Niseko not offering a good Japanese cultural experience but fail to realise one of the reasons there aren't a whole lot of Japanese at the restaurants and bars they go to in Hirafu is because they are smoke free! Smoking is still very accepted in this culture. Like it or not. You want the cultural experiences of heading out to great little Japanese eateries and bars then expect there to be a whole lot of smokers. Simple as that.

I'm not trying to say that smoking isn't bad for you or anything. And frankly it doesn't matter what you think about it. The reality is that if you want to travel in Japan you'll still come across a hell of a lot of smokers who will smoke quite happily in enclosed spaces like restaurants. Might change one day but it's a long way off at this stage I'd say.

And frankly it doesn't matter what you think about it.

Frankly I couldn't care less what people outside of Japan think of smoking.

Who is this Frank you keep on talking about?

smoking does not botherme, IF it is not in my face. Fine, people want to smoke, let them smoke, but do not blow your fumes my way. That is my personal space that your smoke is invading, and I don't care what country I am in.

Yep really. Not in the mood for your crap. Talk about the issue or **** off.

What? rather hypercritical don't you think, since you're always on about threads evolving.

Ths issue here now is smoking. Evolved from "Smoking in Japan omly".

It was clear I was joking. Thought we cleared that up. And it was addressed to the topic.

You're above comment is just being a smartarse. Anyway as I said go **** yourself. And yes I really mean it.