Oh yes, happens every year doesn't it.

The flying rice is back.

No snow, sorry. We just have to wait a few more months for that.

And it's sold out so no chance to scoff it either!

wink

muikabochi_2544.JPG

muikabochi_2541.JPG

muikabochi_2543.JPG

muikabochi_2542.JPG

muikabochi_2541.JPG

muikabochi_2540.JPG

muikabochi_2545.JPG

Sure beats drying it with a kero-fuelled rocket/hairdryer type thingy. Good to see it rides with safety bar down! No doubt those courses will soon echo to the wonderful sound of two-stroke weedwhackers.

Harvest time for us next week.

NHK news said normal volume, but poor ripening was the general verdict after that scorching summer.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Sure beats drying it with a kero-fuelled rocket/hairdryer type thingy. Good to see it rides with safety bar down! No doubt those courses will soon echo to the wonderful sound of two-stroke weedwhackers.

Harvest time for us next week.

NHK news said normal volume, but poor ripening was the general verdict after that scorching summer.

Do they need to weedwhack?
I thought with a the snow the wouldn't need to.
  • SnowJapan Admin

It's just outside of Yuzawa, Mr Wiggles, so pretty much the same as Yuzawa.

Last year someone came round to the office with a tube (the pack this special rice in paper tubes!) of this koshihikari. Hope they do this year too!

Its much more work than hitting your field with a combine, but putting it on poles (hazekake - traditional way) or putting it on a lift, probably the same amount of work.

Rice dried on the stalk in the sun sells for a premium too.

I'm not so sure about that wink

Yamagata rice tastes good imo.

I wonder what it is that makes the taste different, other than that you know you are tasting Koshi-hikari "the best". (psyc factor

But some can actually tell the difference. Like in Sake tasting.

Koshihicari - YES

but where it comes from? NO

Slight, but clear difference between new harvest rice and old stored rice.

Big difference between how it is cooked. Yes, not everyone cooks rice in a rice cooker, (not many knows how, I'm afraid) but some rice cookers are superior than others. That becomes obvious when the rice is not eaten straight away and left in the jar for a few hours.