Hey guys,

I've been meaning to hit the slopes in Japan for some time but have constantly been sidetracked by work/uni/friends holidaying elsewere. (Managed to make it to Colorado, Aus and NZ a few times)

However, I have finally booked a trip for this winter. I thought I'd provide a quick breakdown of what we've booked and if anyone could provide any insight or advise as to what we should do/see it would be greatly appreciated.

My mate and I are leaving the Gold Coast on the 25th (good old christmas day) and staying with a friend in tokyo (he's currently living there teaching english). We will stay in tokyo until the 2nd, when we transfer to Hakuba. The 3 of us are spending 7 nights at The Lab. My japenese friend then has to go back to work, so unfortunitely our friend and translator is no longer with it. We are then doing a further 7 nights in Myoko Kogen, staying at the Akakura Park Hotel.

At each resort we have a 5 day ski pass included in the package. I'll be snowboarding and my mate will be skiing. Both quite competent.

The first period in Tokyo is pretty much covered as my friend can show us around, however he knows nothing of the ski culture/life over there (he's never been before).

If you could provide some recommendations it would be appreciated, additionally I would enjoy hearing some reassuring words revolving around the fact that in early January there will be HEAPS of snow smile

Felix

P.S. Sorry for the long essay

P.S.S. The whole package - flights, accomodation, lift passes, breakfasts etc... is less than $3000 AUD - from what I can gather it seems we got a pretty unreal priced package.

I hope the snow is good, cos we'll be in Hakuba/Nozawa at the same time.

Hope you have an awesome trip smile Don't worry about having a translator in Myoko - Japanese folk are mostly really really lovely and just want to help you and try their english out smile I only learnt about one A4 page of words/phrases (things like Hello, Thank you, Sorry, Please, Toilet, How are you, My name is ....) before I went for two weeks in school - lived with a family who didn't speak a word of english for one week, and we managed perfectly fine. Immersion is the best way to learn.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
It will likely be "bottomless" by New Year.

Sure hope so.

Check all the daily reports from past seasons - see the big red button up top

wave

Cheers mate, Will suss it out now smile

Originally Posted By: thursday
This is good. So your Japanese friend living in Tokyo teaches English to Japanese.

Correct, he's working at a school as an english teacher. He's half japanese and finished his teaching degree in Aus last year. It will be awesome to catch up with him after a year!

Originally Posted By: MintyNZ
I hope the snow is good, cos we'll be in Hakuba/Nozawa at the same time.

Hope you have an awesome trip smile Don't worry about having a translator in Myoko - Japanese folk are mostly really really lovely and just want to help you and try their english out smile I only learnt about one A4 page of words/phrases (things like Hello, Thank you, Sorry, Please, Toilet, How are you, My name is ....) before I went for two weeks in school - lived with a family who didn't speak a word of english for one week, and we managed perfectly fine. Immersion is the best way to learn.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, however it would make life a bit easier and a hell of a lot more entertaining. I'll hopefully pick it up quickly. I studied japanese for a few years in school lol.

I was tossing up between Nozawa and Myoko, myoko seemed to tick more of the boxes for me smile

BRING ON THE POW!

Sooo keen

I really wouldn't worry about the language thing. I've been here nearly 7 years and still can barely string a coherant sentence or two together in Japanese. I've bought cars, property, a business, had my first child here and of course get to ski some of the best powder on the planet every winter. Not being even close to fluent has never been a big issue.

usually around New Year there is a big storm that dumps a shed load of snow on the mountains, I wouldn't be too worried about conditions (hopefully!!). Hakuba and Myoko are great mountains to ride so you should have a blast

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I really wouldn't worry about the language thing. I've been here nearly 7 years and still can barely string a coherant sentence or two together in Japanese. I've bought cars, property, a business, had my first child here and of course get to ski some of the best powder on the planet every winter. Not being even close to fluent has never been a big issue.

Niseko ain't 'normal' in that respect though as there are so many English speakers living there.