Hey guys,

Some friends and I are thinking of visiting Japan for a holiday from the 1st to the 15th of December, however we're not sure if there will be anywhere around with a good snow coverage to go skiing that early in the season.

Does anyone have any experience with skiing in early december, and if so where are some good places to go that will have good coverage?

thanks

You'd be much better off waiting until January. It's certainly possible to get decent coverage in early December, but the smart money doesn't bet that way. Maybe Asahidake or Kurodake in Hokkaido, more likely the WROD at Naeba or Marunuma. Wait til January.

If I was betting on skiing at that point in the season I would head to Hokkaido for sure. Look at the stats that are archived. Typically Hokkaido has a "better" base at that point whereas Honshu doesnt usually have a proper base until a bit later.

As others have said, if you can wait till later then do so.

The last 2 years I've skied pretty good snow at Kurodake in the 2nd week of November. By early December up that way it's already got a very good base. Both Kurodake and Asahidake are great for early snow. Most resorts in Hokkaido will have reasonable on-piste cover in the first couple of weeks of December. Except for up high though it will generally not be all that great off-piste until later in December when all the sasa has been covered.

Thanks for all the info guys.

We're actually going to be in Japan from the 1st-15th of December, with the hope for skiing on the last three days of the trip, so it's not really the focus but an added bonus if we can find somewhere to get a couple of days of skiing in. We're all very novice skiers, so even sub-par coverage would be more than adequate for our needs.