I had one once.

I swapped it for some beer, about 2000 yens worth I believe!

Whats more puzzling is - are those 1 pound Scottish notes legal tender (in England)?

Yes I have seen and had a few, but the number that were actually printed were far fewer than other denomitations or something, very small number in comparison to other notes, which is why we don't come across them often!

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Scottish pound note not legal tender in England, I believe.

no paper money is legal tender, they are technically only promissory notes. Only the coins are legal tender and only at the amount specified on bank bags. So shops are within their right, for example, to refuse to accept payment for something in 1p's when the quantity exceeds 1 pound.

All currency notes in the UK that are printed with "...pound Sterling" are accepted all over the UK, this includes the Bank of England notes, Royal bank of Scotland notes, Bank of Scotland notes, Clydesdale notes and the Ulster Bank notes. I don't think Wales has its own notes. However, due to the rarity of certain notes in certain areas of the UK (like 1 of the Scottish Notes in England), many places can and do refuse to accept it as payment.

actually got it a wee bit wrong. Bank of England notes are considered legal tender, but only in England and Wales. In Scotland and Northern Ireland they are not legal tender and have the designation of Promissory Notes.

English bank notes are usually refused in scotland except for some gift shops, etc. That is true for sure as when I was there many moons ago we had to withdraw scotish pounds from the banks to use as the shops refused to take our English pounds.

Same is true the other way around!

And I asume it has not changed!

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Not had a huge amount of experience but had more issues trying to use Scottish notes in England than the other way round.

its generally the case GG. Sometimes English 20 pound notes are refused and 50 pound notes too (I changed my money at Narita last summer and thats what they gave me! sadface ) but in general 5's and 10's are easily accpeted. For sure English notes are more common in Scotland than Scottish notes in England.

We still have 1 pound notes as well, but they were abolished in England in the early 80's.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Sometimes English 20 pound notes are refused and 50 pound notes too (I changed my money at Narita last summer and thats what they gave me! sadface )

Try requesting smaller denominations. Usually possible, it seems.
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Not had a huge amount of experience but had more issues trying to use Scottish notes in England than the other way round.

Same.

We didn't know the 'rules' but knew that they were legal tender, so handed over a Scottish note at an Indian restaurant in London and the guy got really irate! Ended up paying by card.
Never made that mistake again.