Leaving a house unlocked - madness or normal?

Do you like this poll?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Habit.

And what can be the downside of making something more secure than not?

Especially when it is so effortless.

The illusion of security. You can get disappointed more, or fear more, become more insecure when the security is broken.

So effortless to keep it unlocked and have nothing to lose.

I lock the door when I am out - because I fear that my house will be burgaled while I am out. I wear a seatbelt because I fear I may crash, I generally dont speed for fear I may get a ticket, I look before I cross the road for fear I may be hit by a car.

Despite the world of fear I live in I feel fairly well adjusted.

Locking the door to stop the burglars is probably the least effective action on the list though. I'm sure burglars dont go door to door seeing which ones are locked and burgiling the unlocked ones. I think most burglars assume they will have to do a little breaking before they do their entering.

I do lock my door sometimes when I am home though, the family tend to knock and come in and I'm not always ready for visitors. (yes, I also fear being caught shagging on the couch)

In japan though we only really locked the door when we went away on holiday.

I used to lock up all the time in Aus but I lived in areas where burglaries were common. We actually got burgled twice, once whilst we were home!

Living here I fell out of the habit of locking up as there just didn't appear to be the need.

In fact living up this way there's a lot of things we do (or don't do) compared to the way we lived in Aus. All in all I much prefer living the lifestyle I have here.

Not much crime in my particular area but I still lock the house every time I go out for more than a few minutes. There's certainly no conscious "fear" involved, it's simply a habit and I can't see the benefits of not doing something that takes such a tiny amount of time and effort.

Not much burglary and car theft goes on in Liverpool of course wink but from what I have heard here when bringing this up locally, a fair few of burglaries and car nabbings are done by unorganised, no-brainers. Usually in hoodies and stonked out on whatever.

They go round checking house/car doors.

If one is locked, often on to the next.

If one is open, bingo.

Simple as that.

Might not apply to safe country Japan, but would seem that locking your door ain't too bad an idea.