Leaving a house unlocked - madness or normal?

Do you like this poll?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

One of Michael Moore'S films showed him walking around was it Toronto in Canada?. He went up to a whole lot of houses and just tried the doors. Most were unlocked, some with people home and some not. As an American he found this to be quite astounding and inconceivable. His argument was that Canada didn't have the same culture of fear that prevailed in the US. People just didn't fear that someone would invade their homes.

It's simply my argument as well living where I do. I can't think of any good reason to lock a house if you have no fear of someone invading it. What is the purpose of locking it if you don't have this fear?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: fukdane

Unlocked open house.
Locked house.

Given the choice, which would you try first?

I hardly think that burglars are just walking around neighbourhoods trying front doors until one opens. 99% of burglars don't operate that way.

Organised ones yes. But you are right - they probably note who doesn't lock their house and who doesn't have alarm systems etc.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
One of Michael Moore'S films showed him walking around was it Toronto in Canada?. He went up to a whole lot of houses and just tried the doors. Most were unlocked, some with people home and some not. As an American he found this to be quite astounding and inconceivable. His argument was that Canada didn't have the same culture of fear that prevailed in the US. People just didn't fear that someone would invade their homes.
It's simply my argument as well living where I do. I can't think of any good reason to lock a house if you have no fear of someone invading it. What is the purpose of locking it if you don't have this fear?

Yeah, I saw that. I come from Toronto and Torontonians lock their doors, if not when they're at home, almost always when they go out. It's real swell that he wants to glorify Canada and maybe it's true to a certain extent, but he doesn't really tell it like it is.

Yeah it's a movie made to make his own points. Still it illustrates the point I'm trying to make here. Without fear of invasion what possible reason is there to lock your doors? If, as Fukdane suggests, there are reasons to do it that have nothing to do with fear then I'm interested in hearing them.

Look, if someone who is intelligent is determined to break and enter, Locks and alarms is of no use. It is just a deterrent for crimes of opportunity. Most neighborhood crimes in the western world are probably done by neighborhood kids, junkies, scums, or someone walking back from the pub. We lock the car for loose change, music stuff being nicked.

I don't drive cars that's worth stealing so if there's no expensive stereo, DVD in the car. no one breaks in. Just idiots who throw rocks to break the window for fun.

If your house is situated so that people can see (think about how important is your privacy issue is and how your house is located) most break in has a high chance of someone, a neighbor being a witness. If your house is out and away, a lock is useless, just throw a brick through a window. Is your neighbor going to come and check out the alarm ringing? I bet they just think of it as nuisance.

So, I agree with the statement that it has psychological grounds to it. Some people have stuff with emotional attachment they don't want to be stolen. So is the house, some feel violated when there is a break'n'enter. Personal space invasion. Some feel powerless. Fear. And definitely a hassle to deal with.

Yep I am with the majority here, lock up.

I have absolutely not fear of anyone or anything and that is a fact, so that doesn't factor into me locking up, at the end of the day my house is my space my private space, and the idea of an uninivited guest walking into my house when I am not there doesn't appeal to me at all, rather it would make me very angry and I would be very likely to do something I shouldn't to that person if I caught them.

Think of it this way if you were a burgular which house would you try and rob the one that is locked or the one that is unlocked and easy to get in to?

Having said that if someone is determined to get in then they will no matter what security equipment you have, unless you happen to have a couple of pet lions.

Can't see any reason not to lock my house when I go out.

The lock is there, takes a second.

Nothing to do with "fear", which just made me laugh.

You guys are full of it.

There is no reason to lock a house unless you have a fear of someone entering it. Please explain to me what other reason there could possibly be for locking it?

Why would any rational person lock their house other than because of a concern or fear some uninvited person might enter it? What would be the purpose in locking it if you didn't have such concerns or fears?

Just because it's there Klingon?? Please either be honest with yourselves or stop insulting our intelligence...

Quote:
stop insulting our intelligence...

Oh come on, really! lol

Why get so worked up and pompous about it, GN?!

Does it matter? Why should you care if people lock their houses or not.

Just don't lock your door!
Laugh at their timid scardey-pants madness and move on.

I was going to leave it at that, but must say that one persons feeling (fear for example) is not another's. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I would rather rephrase, with understanding, that a lot of people are low on the evolutionary ladder because they do not acknowledge their emotional intelligence, hence do not understand others. Whatever reason people lock their house, and most people do it by habit without even questioning it, I'd say GN at least put a good thread out to re-examine our action. Some people prolly never thought about thinking about it. Some might be in denial about their fears.

Frankly, non of my business.

I had lived in a open house. I know people who lives like that. They like to have their friends drop in and be comfortable in their living room. When they come home to find people in the house and they want to have their space, they have their rooms to go to.

Of course I'd consider living like that lucky in a way because you need to be in a good environment. Can't do it in the city I'd say.

Hey, you guys ever go camping? Lived in a tent and then into a cheap caravan without locks on your land?

Never been camping until I went to Australia. I saw all possessions spread out. I was impressed about how trusting and detached people were in Oz. Never had stuff nicked until 4 years ago when we went to South Mole Is in Queensland. A whole Esky full of food. And we were in a campsite and only got warned later by a smiling ranger at the campsite. Apparenty, a locals' past-time on friday nights.

That we got pissed off. Had all our yummy food nicked.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
PS I for one think you're well 'ard and manly with your complete lack of fear in such terribly fearful and dangerous situations! I bet all the chicks do too.

wink

I just can't understand how people can say they only lock a house because well the locks are there. It's ridiculous.

It's a bit like if I claimed I don't ski because I love it. In fact I don't like skiing at all I only do it because ski resorts are there and so I must use them.

I have no problem with people claiming it's silly not to lock your door based on the threat of someone invading your house but just admit that it is a fear of such an invasion that makes you lock the doors!

Or as you allude to is it an assault on these guys manlihood to admit they have any sort of fears at all? wink

I actually started a thread similar to this one on an Australian based forum recently and was quite surprised how many Aussies say they also never lock their doors, even some who live in big cities.

So if I'm talking bollocks maybe a greater mind like yours can explain the reason you would lock your door if you have no fear whatsoever of people invading your home. The best answer I've been given so far is because the locks are there well it would be stupid not to use them. Got anything better than that gg or does your intelligence reside in your gonads?

I don't think that the 'only' reason for locking your door is fear of the threat of someone invading your house. Surely you've had the experience of delivery people or even your neighbours just walking in... well... sometimes when I'm at home sitting around naked I don't want to be bothered by these people so I'll lock the doors. Am I scared or fearful?

Perhaps the reason for locks is to stop uninvted people into your private space. Not the same as fear of being robbed, like the example BM said, don't want a neighbour to just come walking in. You aren't "scared" of the neighbour, you want your privacy intact and perhaps more is the fact that you want to be able to screen who can enter your personal space.

Ok that's a valid reason then. Can't say I've ever lived anywhere where neighbors just enter my house without at least knocking first though! That is kind of disturbing!

Wow, they must do things differently up in Kutchan! Around here it's a quick knock followed by an opened door and 'ojamashimasu'. Every time I go to the front door there they are standing in my genkan. Not really a huge problem but I've had to scramble to find a pair of pants once or twice! doh